Bargiel Symphony & Overtures from Toccata

Started by Alan Howe, Tuesday 12 August 2014, 18:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Audio samples and downloads are now available here (CDs to follow in a few weeks):
http://www.toccataclassics.com/cddetail.php?CN=TOCC0277

Mark Thomas

If ever there was a must-buy, this is it. Sounds tremendous.

Alan Howe

The Symphony will turn out, I am sure, to be one of the most important products of the so-called 'Dahlhaus gap' - the 25-year period between Schumann 4 (revised version 1851) and Brahms 1 (1876) during which (according to German musicologist Carl Dahlhaus) no symphony of lasting significance was written. In effect, the story of the symphony in this period is being re-written through the efforts of recording companies such as Toccata, cpo, Chandos, Hyperion, Naxos, etc.

Watch out also for Chris Fifield's forthcoming book which will draw some startling conclusions...

khorovod

On what basis is this symphony judged to be surely "one of the most important products of the so-called Dalhaus Gap"? From the brief audio samples or an analysis of the score? It's a bold statement.

Mark Thomas

I haven't seen the score, but a recording of a radio broadcast of the Symphony has been circulating for years. That gives a good idea of the high quality of Bargiel's score and I'd say that, comparing the audio samples with that earlier performance, this new recording will make an even more powerful case for the work.

Alan Howe

Mark is right. I too have known the old radio recording for some years and suspected that, given a more committed performance, what would emerge would be a symphony of real stature. That is precisely what has happened with this Toccata release (which I have heard). It is a work which, while fully cognisant of the classical tradition in which it stands (Haydn - Beethoven - Schumann), yet demonstrates that that tradition was by no means played out. Listening to the outer movements in particular, an experience from long ago came to mind - the Carlos Kleiber recording of Beethoven 5. If I say that the SSO under Vasiliev reach similar heights in this marvellous work, friends may gain some idea of the enhanced stature of Bargiel's Symphony as a result of this new release.

To sum up: buy it and see!

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteListening to the outer movements in particular, an experience from long ago came to mind - the Carlos Kleiber recording of Beethoven 5.

Spot on, Alan. I felt the same.

khorovod

"Buy it and see"

I will do to be sure - I was already sold but these glowing recommendations have spurred me on even more. Thanks.

Alan Howe

QuoteSpot on, Alan. I felt the same.

I had the B5/C.Kleiber LP when it first appeared. Nothing has matched it since in that work. But this Bargiel CD really is something else...

Aramiarz

Dear friends, it's increĆ­ble that these fascinating works don't released before! Toccata&Sterling, etc, to do important saves of these masters of the past. Toccata may be release Bargiel in november?

Alan Howe

Welcome, Aramiarz! Yes, the CD will be released in November.

Aramiarz

Dear Alan
    You are very kind for your words! This symphony was dedicated to great Joachim, in few days I will share with you one very interesting situation about Bargiel. It's curious that Bargiel death the same year that Brahms in 1897.

DennisS

I have been listening to this symphony on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8anwH-9cwU0

and am very impressed, in spite of a lot of background noise in the later movements which mar the listening experience just a little bit. The symphony is indeed very fine and I am often reminded of a Beethovian influence in the music, particularly in the opening movement which immediately grabbed my attention. I can also see how Bargiel might have been influenced by Schumann, Mendelssohn and Brahms. Notwithstanding these comments, Bargiel still has his own distinctive voice. I agree that this is a must-buy CD and I am putting in my order.

Alan Howe

You should find the Toccata recording much more exciting, Dennis. I look forward to your report...

mbhaub

I've had this new Toccata release of Bargiel for several days now - and it hasn't left the cd player. The symphony is a wonderful, beautiful, enchanting work. It may not be Beethoven's 10th, or Schumann's 5th, but it's still a delightful surprise. It really moves - I never get bored or restless. The orchestration is typical of the period - fully functional, robust, and appropriate. It never sounds thin. Like Schumann, he uses the horns to marvelous effect. I love this symphony - of all the undiscovered works I've heard from this period (and I've heard a LOT), this is one of the best. It may be derivative and not terribly original, but I couldn't care less. The score and parts should be made easily available to amateur orchestras - this they could handle better than the Beethoven, Brahms, Tchaikovsky they think they can play.  The overtures on the disk are really well worth knowing, too.

The orchestra plays adequately. Intonation is good, brass solid. Some of the string attacks are smudged, but generally ok. The bass section is terrific. The recorded sound is on the dry side, but clear and never distorted.

Can't wait for volume 2.