News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Piano Quintet must hear

Started by Glazier, Tuesday 08 June 2010, 05:13

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

I was just doing a little research on Bruch last night and found there is a Piano Quintet in G Minor from 1886 listed among his WoO.  It may be unpublished.  Now THAT would be a find!

Kriton

Quote from: JimL on Saturday 12 June 2010, 16:03
I was just doing a little research on Bruch last night and found there is a Piano Quintet in G Minor from 1886 listed among his WoO.  It may be unpublished.  Now THAT would be a find!
I have the recording of this work on CPO. It's a very charming work with some pretty good tunes, but not the find of the century. Bruch reportedly hated the piano, and the piano part in the quintet is rather modest and, dare I say, ineffective. But one could say, that goes for the entire composition. Expect no Sturm und Drang here, but a very charming, unassuming quintet that could have been written back in the 1830ies as well...

Quote from: gentile on Saturday 12 June 2010, 14:08
(...) the piano quintet by Alfonso Rendano (1853-1931) (...)
(...) this most extraordinary piano quintet by Guido Alberto Fano (1875-1961) (...)
(...) late romantic piano quintet by Vito Frazzi (1888-1975) (...)
Thank you very much, I will try and find recordings of those works!

JimL

Thanks for the lowdown on the Bruch PQui.  For someone who supposedly hated the piano as much as Bruch, it seems odd that he would compose both a suite and concerto for two! 

Kriton

Quote from: JimL on Saturday 12 June 2010, 17:52
Thanks for the lowdown on the Bruch PQui.  For someone who supposedly hated the piano as much as Bruch, it seems odd that he would compose both a suite and concerto for two! 
If I remember correctly, the concerto for 2 pianos is a transcription of the suite for organ & orchestra. And the piano also takes part in his 8 pieces with viola & clarinet. In all, not very much, no...

Alan Howe

Thanks, gentile, for the pointer to Fano's PQ. The recording on Phoenix seems to be deleted, although one or two used copies are available at high-ish prices at Amazon. There is an interesting article on the work here...

http://www.classical.net/music/comp.lst/works/fano/quintet.php

gentile

An interesting article, indeed. Thanks!

Syrelius

How about the Quintet by Sigurd von Koch?

black

It is rather surprising that nobody has mentioned yet the wonderful Piano Quintet op 35 by Gernsheim!

eschiss1

Quote from: Black on Monday 14 June 2010, 09:03
It is rather surprising that nobody has mentioned yet the wonderful Piano Quintet op 35 by Gernsheim!

I haven't heard either of his quintets yet (a lack I hope to remedy), but why the first quintet and not his second? :)

Alan Howe

Both are superb. Why not No.2 indeed?

black

I can imagine No. 2 is also an attractive composition, like everything I know form Gernsheim. It is simply because I do have a recording of 1st Piano Quintet and I never heard his 2nd.

Alan Howe

I do recommend the Toccata CD of both Gernsheim PQs.

Peter1953

Hans Huber wrote a lovely Piano Quintet for 2 violins, viola, cello and piano in G minor, op. 111 (1896). It's a beautiful, Romantic piece, full of lyrical moments, with a heavenly beautiful slow movement, wholly in the tradition of composers like Gernsheim, Von Herzogenberg and Reinecke, just to name a few. We all know who has inspired those composers.
It's coupled with Huber's Piano Quartet in E Major, op. 117 (MGB label). Strongly recommended!

eschiss1

Quote from: Peter1953 on Sunday 20 June 2010, 06:27
Hans Huber wrote a lovely Piano Quintet for 2 violins, viola, cello and piano in G minor, op. 111 (1896). It's a beautiful, Romantic piece, full of lyrical moments, with a heavenly beautiful slow movement, wholly in the tradition of composers like Gernsheim, Von Herzogenberg and Reinecke, just to name a few. We all know who has inspired those composers.
It's coupled with Huber's Piano Quartet in E Major, op. 117 (MGB label). Strongly recommended!

There are btw two Huber quintets, but I don't know if the G major quintet ("Divertimento", op. 125, pub. ca 1907?) is recorded yet.

There was btw an earlier LP recording of the "Waldlieder" 1st piano quartet (with Hans-Heinz Schneeberger playing violin) that I recall hearing. Well-played... (but not in the territory of this thread.)

(I forget. Has anyone mentioned Vierne's C minor piano quintet op. 42? Not sure if I can quite tell now! There's a fine quintet, a memorial to his son killed in WWI...)

Ilja

I'm somewhat surprised here that the Raff quintet doesn't get a bit more attention. Of all the man's works, it's perhaps the most unconditionally rewarding one. At least it's the one I enjoy most.