Edvin Kallstenius - Symphony no.1/Sinfonietta no. 2/Musica sinfonica - cpo

Started by M. Henriksen, Monday 18 August 2014, 16:12

Previous topic - Next topic

M. Henriksen

It's been a long wait, but here's the first disc of Edvin Kallstenius' orchestral music from cpo (to be released the 15th of October):

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/edvin-kallstenius-symphonien-nr-1-2/hnum/5693081

Morten

Mark Thomas

How would you describe Kallstenius' idiom, Morten? Would you regard it as satisfying UC's definition of "Romantic"?

Alan Howe

I have the excellent Musica Sveciae recording of the 2nd Symphony. It's definitely late-late romantic in general feel, so I'd say it just about fits within our remit (in the same way that, say Bax, does). Here's a helpful review:
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2001/June01/Kallstenius.htm

Release date, by the way, is 16th September - according to the jpc link anyway.

M. Henriksen

Well, I haven't heard anything of Kallstenius' music other than the CD Alan mentioned, plus "En serenad i sommarnatten" (A Summernight's Serenade) on an old Musica Sveciae LP.
I think early Kallstenius would fit the bill "romantic", but I've read that his idiom changed by the years to music I would guess could be outside the forum's merit.
We'll just have to wait and see, and listen!

Morten

Alan Howe

I'd call Kallstenius' idiom broadly post-Sibelian. Bax is about the closest  comparison I can think of, although occasionally I am also put in mind of the exoticism of Bloch. Hollywood doesn't sound too far away either...

Mark Thomas

britishcomposer

For those interested in exploring the later Kallstenius, Symphonies 4 and 5 (uploaded by Sicmu) are in the archive.
Also String Quartet no. 7 uploaded by myself, certainly NOT romantic.

eschiss1

there's a group devoted to his music (early & late, I imagine) on Facebook, btw.

M. Henriksen

The cover for this new release reveals that it's Kallstenius' Sinfonietta no. 2 (he composed 4), not his second symphony, that is coupled With Symphony no. 1 and Musica Sinfonica.

Morten

Alan Howe

eschiss1

BTW here is a review from 2001 of a CD, recorded in 1998 (on Phono Suecia) that did, indeed, contain the 1935 2nd symphony. (To quote Rob Barnett at the end of the review: "Perhaps when CPO have finished the Atterburg cycle we can hope for Kallstenius's five symphonies."  - might happen, might happen.)

Alan Howe

I'd already linked to it, but it's good to advertise the review again.