Hans Gál - Piano Concerto in C major op. 57

Started by BerlinExpat, Sunday 01 February 2015, 17:16

Previous topic - Next topic

BerlinExpat

Hans Gál - Piano Concerto in C major op. 57 will be broadcast on Thursday February 5th on Deutschlandradio Kultur in a concert beginning at 20:03 (CET).

Harmut Hudezeck, piano
Philharmonisches Orchester Altenburg-Gera
Laurent Wagner, conductor

Before and after the Gál are Haydn's Sinfonie No. 8 and Beethoven's Eroica.

Mark Thomas

Thanks very much for making the recording available, Colin.

JimL

jerfilm

BerlinExpat

I've tried to find the movement tempos, but failed. They weren't given in the broadcast and Boosey & Hawkes don't reveal them on their homepage.

musiclover

I would love to see a score of this. Does anyone know who publishes it? Boosey only lists an early Concertino for piano and strings op.4

matesic

From the Hans Gal Society's web site; Allegro energico ma non troppo, Adagio, Allegretto vivace. Published by Breitkopf & Härtel 1948, first performed by the Bournemouth Municipal Orchestra March 1949. Unfortunately they don't name the pianist or conductor.

eschiss1

Looked for further info at the B&H website, but their page is SNAFUd. A cache of one of the relevant pages does give the instrumentation as

Klav – 2(Picc).2.2.2. – 2.2.1.0. – Pk – Str
and the most recent performance that they know of, as of now, at January 14, 2015.
Am guessing Charles Groves was the conductor, from a contemporary publication that mentions, if I read correctly, that he premiered Gál's cello concerto a bit later with the same orchestra, I think.

JimL

Thank you matesic!  You can edit them into the post, BerlinExpat.

Alan Howe