News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Bruch Symphony No.2

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 12 September 2014, 20:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Do you know Conlon's set of the symphonies, Adriano?

Christopher

Quote from: Alan Howe on Tuesday 23 October 2018, 08:11
Do you know Conlon's set of the symphonies, Adriano?

That set also includes his Adagio Appassionato (Op.57) with Salvatore Accardo on the violin (yes I know I also just mentioned this in the Elgar thread running at the moment ;D) - but it's such a beautiful and under-rated work that it deserves promotion wherever the opportunity arises!

adriano

No, Alan, I don't. But one day I may be interested. You are not the only one recommending me this - and I like Conlon very much. Thanks for reminding me!

Alan Howe

adriano

I've just ordered this EMI set :-)
And I am happy to have also the Concerto for two Pianos again, as re-issued from an LP which was given to me by Dorati at the occasion of the opening of a (short-lived) new Zurich record shop. It was issued as a special pressing for that occasion, but I don't remember with what piece it was coupled...

Mark Thomas

Two sets of solo piano pieces by Bruch IIRC.

Alan Howe

I'll be fascinated to hear what you think of Conlon; he's a greatly underrated conductor.

adriano

But he made a splendid Zemlinski series - and an excellent Schreker CD on EMI. I have all this. He also recorded Herrmann's complete "Vertigo", on a strange CD without tracks, included to a totally unneccsary book. It was used for a Video in which you only see (during the whole score) Conlon's conducting hands!

alberto

In my  experience  of modest listener, Bruch Second Symphony is example of how much a work  can sound different in a decent rather than in an outstanding performance.
In the Lp period first I heard (several times) the Symphony from a Rca (formerly Louisville) record performed by the Louisville Orchestra conducted by Jorge Mester: the piece sounded good. BUT it sounded magnificent when I heard the Masur - Gewandhaus performance.In the Cd era I bought the Conlon  (and again the Masur).
(BTW I am glad that Conlon is for the third year principal conductor of the Italian Radio Orchestra in Torino, my city. This year he will conduct also Martucci Second Piano concerto, two Pieces by Sinigaglia (Hora Mystica for strings, Romanza for horn and orch.), and Zemlinsky Die Seejungfrau).

adriano

Benissimo, Alberto, buone notizie  :P

hyperdanny

As a Milan music lover, I totally second Alberto: the RAI orchestra is really very fine ( I fondly remember, a few years ago, a devastating Shostakovich 4 here in Milan under Vladimir Jurowski) and I believe they stroke gold with Conlon, an American maestro so wonderfully attuned to European culture.
That said, my favorite Bruch 2nd remains an echt-Deutsch one, Gernot Schmalfuss on MDG, so imposing!, and boosted by signature MDG sound (where EMI's for Conlon is IMHO mediocre and fuzzy)

Alan Howe

I agree: Schmalfuss' Bruch 2 is a seriously imposing performance in absolutely resplendent sound. What a symphony!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bruch-Symphony-No-2-Violin-Concerto/dp/B00000IM7W

hyperdanny

Actually, this discussion reminded me that I haven't listened to the gorgeous piece in some time.
Tonight after work I have time for a 1-hour listening session......it's a no brainer, then.

M. Yaskovsky

Agree on Conlon. Years ago he was chief of the Rotterdam PO over here. Especially his Liszt symphonic undertakings (Faust, Dante etc.) were exemplary. Sadly the only Bruch he did all those years was.......... the first Violin concerto.

Alan Howe

Has anyone tried the 3-CD set of symphonies on EBS, with the Neue Philharmonie Westfalen (Recklinghausen) conducted by Johannes Wildner (rec. between September 2004 and May 2005)?

My copy arrived this afternoon and I can confirm that it's a real contender. The orchestra play with wonderful depth of sonority - you can really sense the bass line - and they are beautifully recorded. I ceased to be amazed long ago at the standard of these regional German orchestras - they are often superb.

Johannes Wildner