News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Bruch Symphony No.2

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 12 September 2014, 20:11

Previous topic - Next topic

adriano

Oh dear, I never knew about this recording, Alan! Wildner, in any case, is a thoughful, intelligent and honest conductor! I think, having already Masur and Conlon (on the way), that will do for my collection.

Alan Howe

It's so good to hear these fine German orchestras in Bruch. Trouble is, I love the symphonies so much...

hyperdanny

just like Alan, I really love these symphonies, so I have too the EBS set conducted by Wildner ...it's really really good, performance and recording wise, problem is there's always somebody a little better that snags my top recommendation: Marriner and the ASMF in augmented garb are flawless in the 1st on Hanssler, Schmalfuss is just that tad more imposing and cohesive in the 2nd (the other day, in my listening session I actually listened to Wildner and Schmalfuss in succession, I confirm) and Richard Hickox whips the LSO into a frenzy in the 3rd , and his 1st is also exceptional.
BTW the EBS set is often found at ridicolous prices on the market...when it came out I ordered it directly from the orchestra using their website for a totally normal price.

hyperdanny

I hope the moderation will forgive this partial deviation from Bruch ..but since I mentioned him: next month is going to be 10 years since Richard Hickox was taken away from us so abruptly and prematurely. What a loss, not only for the unsung repertoire.
I had the pleasure to see him live only twice, once here in Milan with the Giuseppe Verdi Orchestra for a good Dvorak 7 , and above all once at the RFH with the Philharmonia for a life-changing all-Vaughan Williams evening.
Many of his interpretations on cd keeep their place in my collection, not displaced by something newer or better.
And, to the point of the thread, what a shame that he could not complete his Bruch cycle with the 2nd..can you imagine, the LSO in the 2nd?

semloh

Gracious me, ten years! A sad loss indeed. Bruch's beautiful, imposing and mysteriously neglected 2nd would have been spectacular in his hands. I began loving this work after a BBC Radio 3 broadcast of about 45 years ago, and then acquiring the RCA Louisville LP.  This thread has reminded me how long it is since I last listened to it... I will turn to Mr. Conlon!

Ilja

Quote from: hyperdanny on Sunday 28 October 2018, 09:38
Many of his interpretations on cd keeep their place in my collection, not displaced by something newer or better.
And, to the point of the thread, what a shame that he could not complete his Bruch cycle with the 2nd..can you imagine, the LSO in the 2nd?

No more than I could imagine Langgaard's 2nd with the Wiener Philharmoniker. Still, that happened, so let's hope that in the future, some other enterprising spirit at the LSO will be able to complete the cycle. I really like Hickox' version of Bruch's First, though.

adriano

@ Alan
Thanks, Alan, for recommending the Bruch/Conlon set. Just listened to Symphony No. 2 and I am enthusiastic! The first movement is so dramatic and gripping!

Alan Howe

Oh, good! I found Conlon rather more gripping than Masur, but it's ages since I listened to the latter, so my memory may be deceiving me.