Wuellner Cello Variations

Started by adriano, Saturday 13 September 2014, 16:13

Previous topic - Next topic

adriano

Franz Wüllner was, incidentally, Fritz Brun's and Jan van Gilse's teacher at the Cologne Conservatory, where both (in 1901) made composer's degrees with their First Symphonies. One year before, this has been the case of Volkmar Andreae. The WDR has also produced a broadcast of Wüllner's magnificent 36-minutes-Te Deum, op.50.

[This post refers to Semi.Serio's post of the Cello Variations in the Downloads board here. Mark].

eschiss1

The variations can by the way be found in score @ IMSLP ; the Te Deum not yet though a Miserere by Wüllner can. (The German Wikipedia article mentions that a violin sonata in E minor by him has appeared on CD, too.)

Speaking of.

The same performers  - Manaev and Titova - performing the same work - the Schubert variations - on a 2003 Dohr CD (same as the violin sonata in E minor- viz. that German Wikipedia article) - well- hrm. Semi-serio... are you positive, btw, that that's a noncommercial recording?...

semloh

It's a most enjoyable work, and from a composer completely unknown to me (I've since checked him out in Grove).
Thanks for uploading it, Semi.Serio, it's much appreciated.  :)

eschiss1

Still, it's very curious that the piece, cellist, and pianist are -exactly the same- as in a commercial recording (or what I think is a commercial recording, from 2003, from Edition Dohr?). They may have recorded it for the radio studio also, but something just seems odd here.

semloh

To my ears the acoustic doesn't sound right for a commercial recording, but to give a live performance of a work they have already put on CD is a bit odd. If, on the other hand, it actually pre-dates the CD, it isn't that unusual.  I'm not sure how we check this out, Eric, but obviously it will be removed if we find that it is indeed the CD version.

Semi.Serio

I cannot check if the recording is the same as on the Dohr CD. My recording is from a WDR broadcast and I thought it was a concert performance. I did not even know that there was a commercial CD of Wüllner's works.
Best
SemiSerio

eschiss1

Here's a Worldcat description of the Dohr CD -

Worldcat

The Schubert variations take about 21:33 (according to the U. Chicago Library description. Recorded Sept. 2003, Cavalli-Studio, Bamberg.)

I don't see it at Amazon.de, but JPC has it, with a single sound sample. (The only other commercial recording I know of with works by Wüllner besides this one offhand is - well, several - with a brief choral work of his.) It does seem that Edition Dohr no longer sells it, anycase.