Rufinatscha from Chandos

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 09 June 2010, 18:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Ralph Couzens, boss of Chandos, has now made the following announcement:

Chandos is a step nearer with the first of a 3 CD set of the orchestral works of Rufinatscha. Recording of the first disc will take place later this year. Details later.
http://www.classical-mp3.co.uk/index.php?topic=37.0

This is truly wonderful news!

chill319

Wonderful news, indeed!
Any idea who among the standing in Chandos's stable of conductors (a few wonderful ones have, sadly, passed on recently),would be involved?

Alan Howe

Yes, but I'd rather leave it to Ralph Couzens to make the announcement. I feel that I would be breaking a confidence...

chill319

Makes perfect sense. It's just hard to wait.

Alan Howe

The Chandos recording of Symphony No.6 will take place in early November. I will report on the sessions in due course as I have been invited to attend.

edurban

Alan, that's marvelous news.

David

eschiss1

Quote from: edurban on Friday 01 October 2010, 02:25
Alan, that's marvelous news.

David
I agree and I only know the music so far from the little reduced score excerpts printed in the Allgemeine musikalische Zeitung (probably not PD-EU, but for such as can see them, the link is here- the context was a review of the 2-piano reduction of the symphony when published ca. 1872?... the review is liberally sprinkled with music excerpts. They do look good but I agree that's not much to go by- I look forward to the CD.)
Eric

Peter1953

Wonderful that a professional label is recording Rufinatscha. This can be a great opportunity to broadcast Rufinatscha's delightful 6th in many countries. Classical music lovers will be very pleasantly surprised. Many listeners will probably recognize an unknown masterpiece.

Alan Howe

The 6th Symphony will apparently be recorded separately for the BBC before the Chandos sessions, so there should indeed be a radio broadcast sometime next year.

Peter1953

Alan, it would be great if you write the booklet notes.

Alan Howe

I was asked, but suggested to Chandos that a professional should be approached...

eschiss1

Quote from: Alan Howe on Wednesday 27 October 2010, 10:51
I was asked, but suggested to Chandos that a professional should be approached...
Taking professional not too literally and restrictively I suppose as the Rufinatscha professionals have their own CDs to "hawk" ;)

Alan Howe

The BBC have been in touch about the studio performance of R6 on Friday this week, so all is set, it seems, for the recording itself next Monday and Tuesday. More news in due course... 

Mark Thomas

I'm privileged to be going to the BBC studio performance this Friday in Alan's stead (thank you Alan) and will report on it once I get back from Manchester.

eschiss1

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Monday 01 November 2010, 17:50
I'm privileged to be going to the BBC studio performance this Friday in Alan's stead (thank you Alan) and will report on it once I get back from Manchester.
Enjoy, and looking forward to the report!

(Hope someone will republish the score soon too...)