Giovanni di Zaytz - composer of 1202 opuses

Started by eternalorphea, Wednesday 15 October 2014, 01:45

Previous topic - Next topic

eternalorphea

Several times have I encountered info telling Zaytz composed 1202 op., but never actually supporting that with at least a vague listing (would be hard to cite it even just partially, if it's for real, would it not?). So is it true or maybe a juicy lie by some Croatian musicologists nationalists?

Whilst some of you may be investigating this, you might want to listen to his String Quartet Op.143 in E Major

Thanks,
bye-bye

eschiss1

Well, an op.403 is listed (under Johann Zaytz) in HMB in the 1880s. I assume this is the same as the Croatian composer Ivan Zajc - so Worldcat seems to think, anyways...

Other, more prolific (in sheer number of...) published composers from the same period- e.g. Arnoldo Sartorio, perhaps Fritz Kirchner, Richard Eilenberg, some others - exist - so... not quite sure what they would gain from lying, if they are doing so...

eternalorphea

Yes, thank you. Ivan pl. Zajc is a Croatian variant of the name which he used to accommodate new surroundings when he moved to  Zagreb. It's not that important really, but I like it as I myself am somewhat italian-influenced as person from the Mediterranean, so anyways...

Well they could lie if.. you've probably heard of the inferiority complex

edurban

Nifty, this composer has the same name as my Slovenian grandfather...which was Americanized to John Zaic!  Curious that this most fecund of composers is named after a rabbit or hare (zajec in Slovenian, similar in other Slavic languages.)

David

JimL

eschiss1

Which is why any plot calling on a dramatic context between John, Ivan, and Juan offers either a lot more comedic than dramatic opportunities, or opportunities for a lot of unintended confusion... (... trio for viola alta, cello, and bass in its higher registers...)

eternalorphea