HR3 (Croatian Radio 3)
Jutarnji koncert (Morning Concert)
20.10.2014, 07:05h

Sonata for piano by Luka Sorkočević,
Country suite for violin and piano by Josip Stolcer Slavenski,
Sonata for cello & piano by Dora Pejačević,
Concerto for horn & orchestra by Krešimir Baranović,
Rapsodia Croatica for trumpet & orchestra by Petar Obradović,
Sonata for clarinet & piano by Bruno Bjelinski.

Performers: cellist Monika Leskovar, pianist Radovan Vlatković, and other excellent musicians.

Radio stream
http://www.hrt.hr/streamf/PROGRAM3

eschiss1

By the way, Facebook has a group for Lesser-Known (mostly) Eastern-European Composers (focus mostly on 20th-century - mostly - but often composers like Stjepan Sulek et al. who we've discussed a few years ago who are neither Romantic strictly-exactly nor Modernist or post-Modernist etc. I've seen some of these links there- and for interesting programs from radio stations for other countries (Latvian radio, e.g.) - which is what reminded me of this at this point. Anyhow-- thank you. Sorkocevic (1734-89) -  a Classical-era composer- I seem to recall was brought to attention again in part -because- of Sulek's work, if I read right (Šulek released a 1965 edition of Sorkočević's symphonies.) I'll see about catching the Pejačević cello sonata (hrm, though it'll be 1:05 a.m. for me- well, I'll see :)! ... - though it's on YouTube too I think) - I quite like her music, what I know of it; first heard her piano quintet (from that Croatian Radio recording that was broadcast over ECN/BBC...)

eschiss1

Hrm, interesting - I see that Slavenski (1896-1955) is the subject of sufficient attention that there is a complete works edition (don't know if it's completed or in progress, though the one volume I've located just in the one search I've very quickly done was published in 1986; will do more soon. It is his violin "Slavic" sonata, published as or in (I think as) "Sabrana djela = Collected works / Josip Štolcer Slavenski ; sv. 3 ." (from a quick search of a particular library catalog- not yet Worldcat - for Slavenski's music.) (OCLC 19968715.) Hrm. Will look more into that; I am guessing there are more volumes, including one with the suite you mention...

Ah, I see, the library in question received part one of  a 2-part volume, as a gift -see OCLC 23386754 - which has both parts of volume 3 or something - the sonata, and the other works for violin and piano by Slavenski (including the folk suite).

... Hrm. I did not know this, ... according to the catalogs- Cornell library- up the road from me has 15 volumes (all together, a few - quintets, quartets- separately) from this very edition (OCLC 17478167). I've looked through some of the collected editions in their collection (back when I was a much, much more frequent visitor to the lovely library up the hill there ;) ) but often when I did not know the composer, especially if I also did not know the language- unless it was really, really compelling stuff (as happened a time or two or three - iirc, I think the items they had by Aleksandrov intrigued that way, and some others...) - I took a quick look and went on to something else. Still, usually, when there are string quartets I tend to notice. Maybe I'll have another look...

eschiss1

Ah, found the work Snook was referring to, I think (remember, in that thing about Gotovac etc.)

"Balkanofonija" by Slavenski (published in his collected edition). (Then again, the man's other orchestral works are a Nocturne and Haos (Chaos). I bring these up because of a recent claim that nothing more should be expected from the Balkans under Communist rule than basically folkloristic potpourris (I exaggerate what was actually said, of course)...)

Balapoel

This is what I've been able to collate for Slavenski's orchestral work, and 6 of these are available in various quality on youtube.

Orchestral
   Piano Concerto (incomplete)   1951
   Violin Concerto   1927
10   Balkanophonia, symphonic suite   1927
1   Notturno   1916
   Chaos   1932
   Symphony Oriental 'Religiophonia'   1934

Muzika za orkestar   1936
   4 Balkan Dances   1938
   Muzika, chbr orch   1938
   Simfonijski epos   1946
   Mladost (Youth), 4 songs for strings   

Alan Howe

What's the idiom? Please be mindful of the forum's remit...

eschiss1

I'm guessing the overture "Chaos" sounds like Haydn. (Not a very creative joke, ok. Anyhow, yes, the description at Wikipedia suggests he is outside-of-forum. Will take him over to Facebook group instead, then, I suppose... well, so it goes :))