Fibich Vol.4 from Naxos

Started by Alan Howe, Tuesday 04 November 2014, 17:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

TerraEpon

I read somewhere this series will actually stretch to 8 discs. I had no idea he was such a prolific orchestral composer (now piano is another story...)

tc

Just curious what holds back Symphony No. 3, not that I really expect it.

FBerwald

There's no rush! If there are 8 CD's then it will turn up in due course!

sdtom

I now have all four Naxos recent Fibich releases and much of it I enjoy. The last release volume #4 I enjoyed "A Night at Karlstejn Castle Overture" and have included it in one of my playlists. It is an uplifting piece with two themes that are nicely reprised in a exciting finish.
Tom

alberto

"A Night at Carlstein Castle" Overture was already in a fine Supraphon Cd (containing inter alia "At Twilight").
Relatively known to me , it has appeared also to me the best piece in Naxos vol.IV.

sdtom

While I agree with the assessment of the Fibich I'm still glad that I have the additional material though I doubt I'll be listening to it much.
Tom

TerraEpon

Having just finally gotten this today, it may be my favorite disc of the four -- it's just chalk full of melodic, colorful music. It's the epitome of what this board is about really.

sdtom

couldn't agree more. In fact I think I'll get it out and have another listen.
Tom :)

Jonathan

I got this for my birthday today and we listened to it over dinner.  It's a lovely disc, full of great memorable tunes.  Now I will have to buy volumes 1 - 3 as well.  What a shame!!

Mark Thomas

sdtom

I'm sure you'll enjoy the first three Jonathan.
Tom :)

adriano

Speaking about Fibich - don't forget (the 25 years younger) Josef Suk, who married Dvorak's daughter, and who is a much greater composer, of which there are 7 magnificent CDs on the Supraphon label, conducted by Vaclav Neumann and Libor Pesek, all recorded in the 80s and reissued by DENON

Alan Howe

Agreed - Suk was a much greater composer. But let's stick to Fibich in this thread, please. No problem with starting a new thread on Suk, of course...

adriano

Oops, sorry Alan, I better quit the forum, since also in the Saint-Saens chapter I did a faux pas