Noskowski and Zelenski: Violin Sonatas

Started by JP, Monday 20 November 2023, 00:11

Previous topic - Next topic

JP

Greetings everyone. This upcoming Naxos issue featuring the violin sonatas of Noskowski and Zelenski, due for release in early December, should interest lovers of Polish late romantic chamber music repertory and will surely make a nice accompanying disc to the Polish violin sonatas of Paderewski and Stojowski already released on the CPO label. Rather intriguing that this was announced on the Chandos website instead of Naxos upcoming release section as is usually the practice. 

https://www.chandos.net/products/catalogue/NX%204220

Best wishes to one and all, JP.

Alan Howe

This is an absolutely outstanding release, featuring really beautiful, silvery-toned playing from violinist Laurence Kayaleh and two very fine works from ca.1875 (Noskowski) and ca.1879 (Zelenski). This will be an early candidate for my 'Unsung Chamber Music CD of 2024'!

For context: Brahms' Violin Sonata No. 1 in G major, Op. 78 was composed during the summers of 1878 and 1879 and was first performed on 8th November 1879 in Bonn.

TerraEpon

Quote from: JP on Monday 20 November 2023, 00:11Rather intriguing that this was announced on the Chandos website instead of Naxos upcoming release section as is usually the practice.   

Yeah Chandos seems to be jumping the gun in listing upcoming releases. I noticed that with the recent release of Rozsa orchestral music.

Febct

Both of these works have been recorded by Acte PrĂ©alable - nicely performed by the composers' country men/women - and with AP's usual high-level presentation.  Good enough for me.