Josef Labor 3 Concert Pieces

Started by pianoconcerto, Friday 21 July 2023, 03:21

Previous topic - Next topic

pianoconcerto

Conductor Eugene Tzigane's website <https://eugenetzigane.com/performances> notes that the 3 Josef Labor Concert Pieces for Piano Left-Hand & Orchestra were recorded between 9-13 Jan. 2023.  Not sure which label will release this recording, but it's something to watch for.  Here are the details:

Labor, Josef (1842-1924) Austria
Concert Piece I in D (in the Form of Variations) for Piano Left-Hand and Orchestra (1915)
Concert Piece II in f for Piano Left-Hand and Orchestra (1916-17)
Concert Piece III in E-flat for Piano Left-Hand and Orchestra (1923)
Oliver Triendl/Staatsphilharmonie Rheinland-Pfalz/Eugene Tzigane (9-13 Jan. 2023)

Alan Howe

Oliver Triendl strikes again! What an intrepid explorer of unsung repertoire he is.

Gareth Vaughan

I expect the label is Capriccio, for whom Triendl has recorded work by Labor on previous disks they have released. Really excellent news.

BerlinExpat

The Konzertstück II für Klavier (linke Hand) und Orchester will be broadcast this evening on Deutschlandfunk Kultur at 22:00 CET.

Alan Howe

Rob H

I've just reviewed his 3rd Violin Sonata with piano left hand (the disc was Paul Wittgenstein Left hand legacy on Cobra records - HIGHLY recommended). It is a gorgeous piece so this is very welcome news.

John Boyer

That's good news. I stumbled upon the CD a few days ago while looking for more information about the concert pieces.  I ordered it at once, so it's good to know it will live up to expectations. 

Alan Howe

eschiss1

Nice to see another recording of the Schmidt A major quintet (of which I borrowed the- only recently published...- score of the original (not arranged by Wührer) version once and was flabbergasted to see that it looked, anyway, like it still looked like it needed two hands to play the piano part- though I'm not a pianist, that's just a "ok, I'll take peoples' word for it that a pianist can play this with their left hand, but wow." I've played the Marco Polo recording of Wührer's arrangement that I have many times, anycase. Even if the 2nd movement seems oddly similar to a movement of another of his works, etc.- any gripe I have, too, just seems gripy when actually listening.)
Really looking forward to hearing the Labor concert pieces- another composer I find has a memorable gift. Iirc the scores of the concert pieces and some other works of his are preserved in manuscript at the Austrian National Library, some of them now uploaded and digitized- for which I am also grateful.

Alan Howe

And with that, back to Labor, please.

pianoconcerto

Oliver Triendl's recording of Josef Labor's Konzertstücke 1-3 will be released 2 Feb. 2024 on Capriccio 5521.  Details and soundclips are available on Presto Classical's website:  <https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9544315--josef-labor-piano-concertos-wittgenstein-concertos>.

Alan Howe

Listening to the excerpts has really whetted my appetite as far as these pieces are concerned. This is classical late-romanticism (if you see what I mean) of very high quality. Unpretentious, yet beautifully conceived music - right up my street!

John Boyer

John Boyer

My disc of the Labor concert pieces arrived yesterday, but I've only just finished listening to the whole thing.  The concert pieces are all lovely, have an individual character, and have been well recorded and performed.  They are not showpieces, but integrate the piano more as partner than star, rather like the corresponding chamber works.  If you liked Labor's chamber music for Wittgenstein, I'm sure you'll enjoy these.

Alan Howe

Mine's on order - really looking forward to this.