Alfred Grünfeld piano music

Started by Martin Eastick, Friday 02 January 2015, 16:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Eastick

I don't know if anyone here noticed that the Austrian pianist Doris Adam released a CD last year (I think) on the Japanese Camerata label of piano works by Alfred Grünfeld. Well it seems that a second instalment has recently been released (I have just ordered my copy!) although I am aware that this is not the easiest of labels to obtain in various countries, the UK included. However, on the evidence of Volume I, I can heartily recommend the performances and look forward to the second with anticipation. I would imagine that Grünfeld's stylistic preferences need little by way of introduction here, and anyone who enjoys Moszkowski's piano works would find more of a similar nature here, although in the liner notes it is mentioned that amongst unpublished scores are works for piano and orchestra, although it is not clear whether or not any of these survive!

Rob H

I have both discs though, not wanting to pay amazon's prices, I got the first volume off emusic.com. Excellent salon music and very enjoyable though Moszkowski still has the edge.
I would love to hear a modern recording of his Etude a la tarantelle sometime.

Doris Adam also recorded a wonderful disc of Strauss transcriptions by Grunfeld and Schutt (8 of his and beautifully played).
Rob

Gareth Vaughan

Do you have details of the Strauss transcriptions disk, please?

Rob H

Yes, it's Camerata CMCD-28064 - not listed at amazon uk but here it is at amazon germany:

http://www.amazon.de/Sch%C3%B6nen-Blauen-Donau-Doris-Adam/dp/B000F0H4K4/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1420301378&sr=8-6&keywords=doris+adam

Grunfeld transcriptions - Soiree de Vienne
                                       Fruhlingsstimmen
                                       Kaiserwalzer

Schutt transcriptions - Kuss-Walzer
                                    Dorfschwalben aus Osterreich
                                    Kunstlerleben
                                    Morgenblatter
                                    Wiener Blut
                                    An der schonen, blauen Donau
                                    Rosen aus dem Suden
                                    Schatz-Walzer

Apologies for all missing umlauts,