News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Thieriot symphonies

Started by eschiss1, Friday 14 November 2014, 01:28

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

I notice @ Amazon that at least one of Ferdinand Thieriot's (1838-1919) (previously) unpublished symphonies is available in an edition by W. Zielke , offered @ Amazon.com . (The editor has scanned/uploaded some of his editions to IMSLP, I see.) There seems to have been quite a lot of unpublished Thieriot, at least according to the IMSLP worklist- has anyone seen these symphonies of his, perhaps heard at least a digital rendition of one of them? His chamber works seem quite good (e.g. the 2nd string quartet, an octet I heard in concert, ...)

Aramiarz

Never!! I have interest in these scores!!! Thank you for share your discovery!!! I found some concertants works but in reduction for piano!! :'(, for example one double violin concert, the symphonies nothing!! whom know where are!! I read about in russian side were after the WW II?

Aramiarz

Please, what is the link dear Erick?

eschiss1

Amazon link for the 5th symphony with description (not a free download or audio though) - here. (Only four symphonies are listed in the worklist prepared primarily by Mr. Zielke for IMSLP; I guess I changed that tentatively to "at least 5?" on the basis of his own edition of the 5th, but there might be a reason for his having held it at 4- could the 5th be an arrangement of other music not intended as a symphony by the composer, unlike the first 4? ... Will need to at least Google-translate the Amazon description later...) He's @ IMSLP at "Wiki03" - maybe (if you have an account there) if you contact him at his discussion/forum page there about the editions of the others? I seem to recall having a conversation awhile back about the score of Thieriot's violin concerto there (though not sure the details now.)

eschiss1

Hrm... ah, I see-- the back cover of Mr. Zielke's AlbisMusic 5th symphony edition quotes a review of the first performance of the work, 15 May 1908 (see the uploaded images @ Amazon.)

Aramiarz

Dear Erick, thank you for your important support!! I hope soon have news
             ;D

eschiss1

I asked him btw, and received this further information:

sound files for the 2nd and 4th movements of Thieriot's 5th symphony. (8:58 and 9:46, respectively. Nice opening to the 2nd movement, so far. Reminds me of some things by Schubert (or the opening of Lachner's 6th, I think...)). Actually, on a first listen, sounds like a rather good 2nd movement, and finale beginning well too, a certain sense of anxiety... )

Parts and conductor score are also available, he added.

Aramiarz

Ok dear Erick, thank you!! Excuse me the question, what is btw?

Alan Howe

btw = by the way. This expression is used when one wants to add a further piece of information, usually of lesser importance.

eschiss1

Though I do recommend listening to the (un-downloadable, it seems, or not easily so) sound-files.  Synthesized, but taken together, they do in fact whet my appetite for a performance of the whole symphony. (Not surprised.)

Aramiarz

Dear Alan & Erick, thank You!

Alan Howe

I'm reviving this thread with particular reference to Thieriot's Symphony No.5 in C#minor, the score of which I bought last year. I now find earlier in this old thread that Eric gave a link to the Symphony's finale and slow movement:
https://soundcloud.com/search?q=thieriot%20symphonie
I'm fascinated by Thieriot's music and was wondering what others might make of these excerpts?

khorovod

I thought they sounded very impressive. Intriguing and sad to think of the potentially wonderful symphonic cycle that is languishing unperformed and forgotten. It would be a great cause for CPO to take up. I still hold out hope they will do, as I do for Wilhelm Berger's symphonies (I just discovered his 2nd on YouTube. Wow, what music!). But I've wandered off topic, sorry! ::)

Alan Howe

In the case of Berger's 2nd, wandering off-topic is fully understandable. :)