Sgambati complete piano music - just 50 euros

Started by rosflute, Thursday 20 November 2014, 22:25

Previous topic - Next topic

rosflute

Tactus are offering the complete piano music including the latest CD of unpublished pieces and the piano concerto for the special price of 50 euros [including shipping]. 8 CD's performed by Francesco Caramiello who is one of the best interpreters of Sgambati's music.

http://tactus.it/products-page/evidenza/lang_ittp-841900-giovanni-sgambati-opera-omnia-per-pianoforte-·-piano-concerto-and-orchestral-works-francesco-caramiellolang_itlang_entp-841900-giovanni-sgambati-complete-piano-works/

Alan Howe

Cheap indeed! What's the solo piano music like?

alberto

The Caramiello recordings (or some of them) maybe date from around 2000 on "Agorà" label (now defunct); or maybe Caramiello has made  new recordings (and completed the survey).
I own four records of "Arts" Label by Pietro Spada (allegedly "Sgambati complete Piano Music").
What is the music like? I confess that I have not dedicated to the piano solo music (besides the Spada survey I own two Caramiello Agorà Cds) the time I dedicated to the IMO very fine Piano Concerto and (still more) Symphony n.1.
If one likes those two works, I think he will like the piano music (which has a god deal of variety, from the utmost virtuosity to the salon piece).

Alan Howe

Thanks, alberto. Are there any major, large-scale works for piano?

alberto

The only one relatively large scale work is the Prelude and Fugue op.6 (in the Spada recording it lasts '14 " 30).
There is no sonata . Two Suites (op.21, five pieces; op. 42 three pieces) are sets of shortish pieces, not aiming particular depth.
I would say that the Spada four Cds survey contains moro or less the same music as the Caramiello survey; the latter includes the piano Concerto, the orchestral overture Cola di Rienzo; some works and some transciptions for two pianos.

rosflute

2 men and 1 woman have recorded the piano music of Sgambati. As with any pianist of that time, the music is of mixed quality as some of it was written for students and friends. However over all it is very good.
Spada is, in my opinion, rather heavy handed in his interpretations and does not show it to best advantage. Caramiello has a much better feel for the music and a sparkling technique with it, so I would recommend this edition above the others. [I'll confess to owning all 3 now]
you can get a taste of it here:
http://youtu.be/dbW1VsCA3UU