C. Erlanger (1863-1919) Saint Julien (l'hospitalier)

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 27 December 2018, 08:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Revilod

I don't know this opera ( and I don't know "Dottor Antonio" by Alfano)  but, by coincidence, I have just ordered "Saint Julien" largely because I have recently been so  impressed by the quality of these Cantus Classics recordings. (Their version of Giordano's "Madame Sans-Gene" knocks  spots off the one on Dynamic.) The other day, I went through the entire Cantus Classics catalogue and listed all the rare operas (many of which are otherwise unrecorded) which seem worthy of investigation. The catalogue is a real treasure drove.
I will report back on Erlanger's opera later.

JimL

Mark Thomas

The opera, IIRC, is an effective, rather perfumed work, unsurprisingly in the late style of Massenet.

Alan Howe

QuoteAny relation to Frederic d'?

Don't think so. Perhaps you could do some research and report back, Jim?

Ebubu

The problem with the publications of all these French radio recordings, is that the large majority of them were recorded in unspeakable conditions, close to sight-reading for everyone, with very, very little rehearsal time, sometimes with decent singers, but most often not, and most often with very heavy cuts (notably in the choral parts or the most challenging parts of the works).  One needs to listen to these with a vocal score on the table, so as to have a better picture of the whole thing.
You are warned.
(and no, Camille Erlanger has nothing to do with Fredéric d'Erlanger).

Revilod

Like Massenet's opera "Herodiade" , "Julien" is based on one of Flaubert's "Trois Contes". Although Erlanger was a pupil of Delibes, "Julien" won't remind you of "Lakme" at all. The style of "Julien" is reminiscent of Massenet in the vocal writing but the orchestral writing is very much in the Liszt/ Wagner tradition. The opera is through-composed and motivic rather than melodic. There are no arias as such.  The ideas don't really stay with you but make a strong impression for as long as the opera lasts. There is one heavyweight orchestral interlude representing the hunt which attained some popularity at the time. If you like, say, Faure's opera "Penelope" you will like "Julien".

The opera is cut in this performance but not disastrously so. It still runs for 1 3/4 hours. The singers are absolutely fine (Jean Giraudeau is excellent as Julien) and the orchestral playing acceptable but the recording can't really cope with such elaborate textures and the sound is pretty poor even for its age...1954.

I can imagine this opera making a strong impression in the theatre but it is a bit saccharine and, in this secular age, a revival isn't going to happen so this recording will probably be the only way to get to know what struck me as a very fine, if somewhat dated, work.

Alan Howe

Revilod

After greater familiarity, I've been very impressed by this opera and have now posted a full review of the recording on Amazon....perhaps the first one on the internet or anywhere!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Julien-Lhospitalier-Choeurs-Orchestre-Radio-Lyrique/dp/B012YNLBLW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1551201495&sr=8-1&keywords=erlanger+julien

Revilod

Here's a recording by Charles Dutoit and the Orchestra National de France of the "Chasse Fantastique" from this opera. It's a thrilling 15 minutes' worth of music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEDKKl6PUNY&lc=z233x1tb5wnghbxrc04t1aokg5wl2twbpwh50toxcrrvbk0h00410