News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

George Alexander Osborne

Started by kolaboy, Sunday 07 December 2014, 18:31

Previous topic - Next topic

kolaboy

George Alexander Osborne: 24 September 1806 - 16 November 1893. Irish chap.

I've come across his name numerous times in 19th century composer biographies. Berlioz has a few kind words for him - but then Berlioz usually had kind words for those who. were well inclined towards himself...
Anyway, there's a disc of his piano/chamber works on Amazon, titled "Shower of Pearls", and I was wondering if anyone here had purchased it or has any opinion on Osborne's merits as a composer. The audio samples did not bowl me over, but sometimes audio samples can be deceiving. Is this a disc I'll take down perhaps once a decade? I have lots of those  :D

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

<<Osborne's Third Piano Trio was composed and published in the 1840's. It was his most popular chamber music work and was for many years often performed not only at his own concerts but elsewhere. Osborne's friend Hector Berlioz described the work as "lofty in style and special in design." The trio not only shows the influence of Schubert and Mendelssohn but also from the Italian operas that were then popular in Paris. The opening Moderato has an abundance of lyrical themes as well as some exciting passage work. A rambunctious and Scherzo, which is dominated by its rhythm, follows. The third movement, Adagio, is a Mendelssohnian Song Without Words and one also hears echoes of Rossini and Bellini. The exciting finale, an Allegro, has for its main theme a syncopated gypsy melody and is full of dramatic effects.

This is a work which is sure to make a splash in the concert hall and should be considered by professionals looking for a fresh work from the early romantic era. We have reprinted the original 170 year old edition which, as was typical for that time, neither had rehearsal letters nor a piano score, that is to say, the piano part does not have the string parts. We have added rehearsal letters in all of the parts and have added cues in the piano part.>>

http://www.editionsilvertrust.com/osborne-piano-trio3.htm

Alan Howe

For me, this'd be a once-in-a-decade listen. So many more chamber music pieces to prioritise over this one; however, if you like the period (1840s for the Trio), you'll find this entertaining, I'm sure.

kolaboy

Thanks Alan. I love the period, but I've so many faceless cds as it is...
Would to God I had not been born a completest  :D