Symphonies for 2015 - here's wishing...

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 28 November 2014, 19:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Aramiarz

Dear Alan
I think as you!! Erick is one phantastic researcher!!

Dear Gareth
I have good news for you. In february-march, we will performance and recording the Moór's second symphony. We received of Moór Society the piece that was performance in broadcasting
in Hungria. It's one interesting work!! Moreover will be include the piano concert op 46 in C minor.

Aramiarz

Mihalovich is one very interesting project. It will be good to know where is the material

Aramiarz

Scharwenka Phillip
Symphony
Symphony Brevis

I have some much interest for his works.  The symphonic works recorded in Sterling, talk about his genious and talent. I hope in 2016 have good news about these works. While I'm in way for get the scores! ;D

Gareth Vaughan

Dear Aramiarz,

I am absolutely thrilled to hear you will record the 2nd symphony and Op. 46 piano concerto by Moor. That is really exciting news. If you can tell me more about the project I would be extremely grateful.

Best wishes

eschiss1

... thank you :)
Has anyone here heard anything more about those cpo releases that were once expected of symphonies by Ewald Straesser and Julius Weissmann? I think the recordings, or some of them, already exist (or it's possible that the ones we've heard might not be the ones they'll use - but anyhow, broadcast -recordings- of some of these works (e.g. the first two of Straesser's 6 symphonies, etc.) under forces that sometimes record for cpo, already exist... - and cpo does progress at its own pace (and (enough ands, Eric!) I would be the last one to encourage hurry rather than encourage craft and preparation of recordings, liner notes, releases, etc.) - still, with these composers too one would like to know.

I haven't heard or seen the other 4 Straesser symphonies beyond a small scrap available @ RISM.info of his 4th (but Furtwängler conducted some of them, as did other fairly well-known conductors, etc. ...)

(Gah, sometimes, too hard to choose -one- thing one would like. And very glad indeed to hear about the progress re: performing and recording Moór's symphonies; I also looked, and look, forward to this. Who would have thought there'd be any progress at all? Not I! )
Mihalovich: Mailing Mr. Windhager on Facebook, I guess (other-folder time...). He even includes e.g. themes (and analytical detail) from the 2nd symphony at p.195 of his dissertation. one -hopes- the work still exists, given such detail...

vicharris

I would like for someone to play or record the Op. 26 Symphonie Dramatique 'Les Amazones' (1884), and Op. 37 Callirhoë. Ballet symphonique (1888) by Cecile Chaminade 1857-1944. I have always been intrigued by her work and read in a few places that some of her big works and better works such as the big choral symphonies were subsumed by her reputation for light, "popular" songs and piano pieces in the estimation of musical appreciators and history as well. While I don't know scores, etc. these would be of great interest to me. I have the sense from some of my readings that she was a deeper and more well rounded composer than her sort of contemporary Augusta Holmes, whose big pieces are not so memorable. Anyway, I am always interested in the big works by women and being enamored of Marie Jaell's piano concertos I would like to hear more of her orchestral works, though I don't see a symphony per se listed. Thanks, Jim

Aramiarz

About Chaminade I think that she wrote charming, refinated and well crafted, the flute concertine op 107 and piano concert op 40 are good pieces. Interesting your wishes. It's available the Marie piano concert?

eschiss1

Jaëll's piano concertos- not commercially, yet, I think, but in a broadcast recording one can hear in our archive "folder" and perhaps on YouTube as well... (looking at her published (incl. posthumously, edited by others) output on Worldcat.org is intriguing. Some big choral stuff, a cello sonata, string quartet in G minor... hrm!)

And I should have remembered Emilie Mayer (1812-83), whose B minor symphony was performed (in a reconstruction) and broadcast (I think- in the event, there's an mp3 performance in our archives, I believe...) and whose symphonies are being edited generally, I think, by someone who posts here (rosflute, if memory serves) - Mayer's E major symphony has already been published in her edition. The B minor has me hoping to hear more of them.

JP

Here's another recording suggestion for classical labels championing unsung repertoire to strongly consider. German choral composer Otto Jochum (1898-1969) - brother of the renowned conductor Eugen Jochum - composed two of his large scale programmatic works, the "Goethe" (1940) and "Florianer" (1946) Symphonies, the latter of which was dedicated to Bruckner. Like Pfitzner, Otto Jochum composed in a nationalistically Germanic postromantic idiom somewhat akin to the style of Hans Pfitzner which deserves to be further explored and revived. Scant details of this composer can be found here:

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_Jochum&prev=search

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://de.metapedia.org/wiki/Jochum,_Otto&prev=search

http://books.google.com.sg/books/about/Goethe_Symphonie.html?id=46KcMgAACAAJ&redir_esc=y

http://musicalics.com/en/node/91650

http://musicalics.com/en/node/281832

Otto Jochum may be comparatively "modern" in terms of his historical lifespan placement which predominantly occupies the 20th century. However, the spirit of his musical style is essentially neo-romantic in the retrospective sense.

Best wishes to one and all. ;)

Mark Thomas

If Jochum is both "postromantic" and "neo-romantic" he could well be post-UC, too, I'm afraid.

Peter1953

My wishlist: the 3 unrecorded symphonies by Cornelis Dopper

No. 1 Diana (1896), premiered in 2005 (!)
No. 4 Sinfoniëtta in A minor (1909)
No. 5 Sinfonia Epica for soprano, alto, tenor, bass, chorus and orchestra (1908)

Reason: contemporary Dutch modernist composers like Pijper and Vermeulen thought of Dopper's music that it was too old fashioned. Maybe that is the reason why I like his symphonies.

Gareth Vaughan

Hear, hear, Peter! They get my vote too - and for much the same reason.

eschiss1

I'm sure they thought of quite a lot of music so. Not all of it was any good. For what that's worth. (I quite like the Dopper I've heard, but not for those reasons. Do negative reasons - I like something because someone else hated it - ever really suffice?  The 3rd symphony's obstinate opening theme really sticks in the memory, for instance, and is a, though not the only, good reason, to return to the symphony again...)

Alan Howe

All reasons count, Eric. I just wanted to avoid pointless list-making!

Mark Thomas

I have a recording of a radio broadcast of Dopper's First Symphony, which is possibly the premiere performance. I'll just make sure that there's no copyright issue, and upload it if that's no bar.