Symphonies for 2015 - here's wishing...

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 28 November 2014, 19:30

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

It's in our downloads "archive" - I could edit in the link (which still works, it seems)?

Mark Thomas

Oh, well done, Eric - that must be where I got the recording in the first place! So, yes, you can download Amphissa's recording of the 2005 premiere performance of Dopper's First Symphony from our Download Archive here.

Peter1953

Many thanks Mark, Eric and Amphissa! This must be the first and only performance of Dopper's First. Tomorrow I will give it a first listen.

Aramiarz

Dear Gareth:
The Moor project start with the 2nd Symphony And the piano concert op 46

Too we have the purpose for performance And recording Other three piano concerts, And the 6th Symphony (Casals loved it), there are more symphonies, one of them dedicated to Volkmar Andreae.
We want to do the triple concert (dedicated to Cortot, Casals And Thibaud) And the violin concert (dedicated to Thibaud). Rhapsodie op 93. There are much work!!

Aramiarz

Dear Erick And Mark, thank You for Dopper's music!

Gareth Vaughan

Thank you, Aramiarz, for the details of the Emanuel Moor project. I am really excited by this news and I sincerely wish you every success.

Alan Howe

Wheesht

So do I! I first came across the name Emanuel Moór in a German biographical dictionary of Romantic composers about a dozen years ago and would have loved to hear some of his orchestral music. I had almost given up hope when the first cello concerto CDs came out, and now here is more grat news.

Another composer whose symphonies I'd love to hear is Joseph Lauber (1864-1952). I only know his Concerto for Double Bass, coupled with Brun's Symphony no. 2 on a Gallo CD from 1994. Reason: I think the concerto is a really attractive piece, full of virtuoso playing and changing moods, and I would like to know how Lauber fared with longer works and what the symphonies (there are 5) of someone who lived so long sound like. The University of Lausanne apparently has (some of) his left papers, but one would have to contact to find out what is included there.

alberto

I would add to my list the
Jean Hunyade Symphony op.5 by Vincent d'Indy (1874-75).
If there was a recording, I never saw it; if it is a symphony just by name, anyway the composer called it "symphony" (while he didn.' make so with the not so later Wallenstein Trilogy).
Anyway it could be a good discovery.
(I don't know if the Chandos series has this in project).

eschiss1

Well, the Wallenstein Trilogy isn't a symphony, it's a symphonic poem. He was fairly clear on the distinction, I think- on the one hand his A minor symphony (withdrawn, now recorded twice), symphony on a French Mountain Air (maybe a bit blurry on the edges between the two, to be fair, if not between symphony and symphonic poem then between symphony and concerto, recorded a few times), symphony in B-flat Op.57 and symphony in D Op.70 (1916-8) "Sinfonia Brevis de Bello Gallico".

Lucanuscervus

.........The 2 Symphonies of Wilhelm Kempff (1895-1991) please !!

Alan Howe

black

We've had threads like this one before. And it is always interesting to read what other members like to hear. But I expect we all know that the chances for our wishes to become true are virtually none. That said I'm happy to present my wishlist of symphonies, all by composers known to me through other one of more other symphonies they've written, and it is just out of curiosity that I want to hear them.
- Sgambati: Symphony No. 2 in E flat Major
- Klughardt: Symphony No. 4 in C minor Op. 57
- Senfter: Symphonies No. 3 in A Major Op. 43, No. 5 in E minor and No. 6 in E flat Major
- Baussnern: Symphonies No. 2 in B minor "Dem Andenken von Johannes Brahms" (1899) and No. 4 in C minor (1914)
- Weigl: Symphonies No. 1 in E Major Op. 5 and No. 2 in D Minor Op. 19

eschiss1

To technically keep the thread on track, this particular thread, unlike some others, is specifically a wishlist for commercial recordings- so that including pieces one's heard that haven't yet been commercially recorded is not only allowed, it's probably a good idea. It allows one to better judge whether the work is worth a conductor and orchestra's time, effort and money, assuming they can find the material again (it may have been lost since the work was broadcast, remember... this does happen. See for example York Bowen symphony 3.)  (The Sgambati 2nd, like the Cliffe 2nd, is a work which is in preparation, as one knows from other posts in this forum - in my honest opinion (I'm no admin, nor do I desire to be one here) I know I'd "allow" that sort of thing too on the grounds that very few people could possibly _have_ heard it properly so far, or not in years, but there is probably at least one or two good reasons -beyond the name of the composer and a wish to hear everything they've written &c &c &c et al - to suppose that this work will be worth the effort (e.g., that an editor and orchestra and conductor are and will be putting effort into it.)

(By the way, the Weigl 1st symphony has been broadcast, and we have an upload of it - erm - somewhere. Or had. A search for it may turn it up?...)

Most of the above - though not the bit about the Weigl symphony no.1 - is my opinion and of course does not carry enforceable weight ... apologies for a ramble.

Alan Howe

Sgambati 2 will come out on Naxos - Rome SO/La Vecchia.