Symphonies for 2015 - here's wishing...

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 28 November 2014, 19:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

I'm glad to hear it. Have you seen the scores? What more can you tell us?

Ilja

I would love to hear one or more of Eduard Napravnik's four symphonies. If his Piano Concerto is anything to go by, they should be good.

FBerwald

I second Ilja. I will also add Joseph Marx's Autumn Symphony to the list.... a commercial recording atleast!

ncouton

I've read Ferdinand Hiller's Symphony "Es muss doch Frühling werden", and I agree it's worth a good recording!!!  :)

Aramiarz

Dear Alan: good news about Sgambati 2nd.

Dear Erick: have you news about Mihalovich scores?

eschiss1

have only sent a - not even an email exactly ... - a message his way - which he may not have seen. May have to try something like his faculty email or somesuch... (I think he's faculty somewhere.)

Tartini

Among all symphonies that deserves to be on CD, my vote goes for Haarklou's fourth because it is a very impressive work, especially the mighty opening. Adolf Reichel's second is another candidate. And of course the rest of Kalliwoda's symphonies from CPO.

jerfilm

After hearing the 4th Symphony of Edward Burlingame Hill,  I'd like to hear numbers 1-3.   Someone needs to explore the treasure chest of Romantic American symphonys.    If you were to take the most recognizable (???) names, there probably isn't more than 25 or 30.   T'would be a great project for Naxos.......I have a list for you.....haha......

Jerry

eschiss1

Hill's symphony no.1 in B-flat you can hear, with two other works, here, I believe- ok, they haven't been taken down... that's why I did ask about a comparison between his 1st and his 4th (in the relevant thread, but that's... well, ok, pretty relephant. oops.); I wasn't asking someone who had rare access to a score of the 1st to go into the basement and pull up the former, and judge from it... those are the two I know have been recorded in some form, privately or commercially :)

minacciosa

Here's hoping for Leo Sowerby's never performed 5th Symphony. I've heard it thanks to the Finale engraving I did and Garritan Personal Orchestra. It's a wonderful and very American piece.

Alan Howe

DennisS

Have been very taken with Cornelis Dopper's music. Would love to see a commercial recording of his Symphony no 1 as well as, of course, recordings of Symphonies 4 and 5.

minacciosa

The Sowerby is a very individual work, most particularly in the finale, which is simultaneously populist and completely irregular rhythmically. It has an open air feel and a pan-tonal harmonic treatment that nevertheless suggests a discernable tonal center. Progressions are never resolved via V - I. It doesn't sound like the other Sowerby symphonies.

Alan Howe

Quote...a pan-tonal harmonic treatment that nevertheless suggests a discernable tonal center.

Just a quick reminder from our definition of 'romantic':

Overall, though, music of the romantic era still shares recognisable attributes: the restrained employment (if at all) of dissonance, a reliance on 19th century models of harmony and construction and the fundamental importance of melody. Mere tonality, without strong elements of these other characteristics, does not qualify music as being romantic in style.(emphasis added)

We have highlighted this distinction on many occasions in the past, so we would once again plead for caution in posting concerning music which does not fit here. The mere fact that Sowerby's 5th Symphony dates from 1964 should also give one pause for thought...

As an aside: this CD of Sowerby's music suggests an attractive idiom, but certainly not a romantic one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003H3H9BA/ref=dm_cd_album_lnk