Holbrooke's Violin Concerto "Grasshopper" and Auld Lang Syne Variations

Started by Jimfin, Sunday 30 November 2014, 09:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimfin

Thank you very much for that! Long awaited! I shall buy the CD as well, if I live that long, but am very happy to have this now.

[Moderator's note: This refers to BerlinExpat's post in the Downloads board]

Gareth Vaughan

Who could fail to like these melodious works with their slightly louche harmonies here and there, redolent of the music hall and typical of Holbrooke? Interesting and beautiful orchestration throughout - as one would expect. Howard Griffiths believes in this music and has the measure of it. I can't wait to hear his performance of The Raven.

Mark Thomas

"Slightly louche harmonies".

Gareth, sometimes you surpass yourself! What an apt description!

vicharris

What a great new word for me, Gareth, as it happens I have always been attracted to all things louche!!!

semloh

Yes, I agree with Gareth's comments, assuming "rather louche" refers to Holbrooke's music and not the man himself.  His indignation at the neglect of his music, and his consequent feistiness, probably made him a rather prickly character, but louche is a word more appropriate for Arthur Daley rather than Josef Holbrooke! But I am sure you mean the music rather than the man...

Gareth Vaughan

eschiss1

I can't help thinking "Loucheur" (as in Raymond) when I hear that... :)
Will download the concerto and variations soon, now I'm back on my own computer and can do so. Thanks for.

semloh