News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Piano concertos

Started by giles.enders, Thursday 17 June 2010, 11:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter1953

Quote from: chill319 on Saturday 19 June 2010, 19:31
I do hope the full version of Czerny's sonata 2 is available somewhere (haven't made a serious search). It must have been exceptionally ambitious to have been reissued in an abridged version.

See http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product//NI5863-4.htm

thalbergmad

Quote from: chill319 on Saturday 19 June 2010, 19:43
In another thread I quoted a very positive assessment of a Dussek c-minor concerto from around 1800. The writer saw this work as a pivotal one in the history of the concerto, in that way similar perhaps to Beethoven's c-minor concerto.

Have you got an opus number for that one??. I cannot remember a concerto in C minor, but it was a while ago that i played through them.

Thal

eschiss1

Quote from: thalbergmad on Sunday 20 June 2010, 12:33
Quote from: chill319 on Saturday 19 June 2010, 19:43
In another thread I quoted a very positive assessment of a Dussek c-minor concerto from around 1800. The writer saw this work as a pivotal one in the history of the concerto, in that way similar perhaps to Beethoven's c-minor concerto.

Have you got an opus number for that one??. I cannot remember a concerto in C minor, but it was a while ago that i played through them.

Thal

There's one in G-minor op.49, but the (incomplete and partially incorrect I'm very sure) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_compositions_by_Jan_Ladislav_Dussek doesn't list a C minor concerto...
Eric

peter_conole

Hi all

Have done a check (excuse the unintended pun) if it will help. No trace of a c minor Dussek concerto as far as I can see. There is a g minor op 49 of 1801.

To fill in the picture a la recorded performances of Dussek concertos, here are two more, one with an opus number:

e flat major, 1789. Vanguard Classics, and wrongly listed as op 26 on the disc. The op 26 is a 1794 sonata for two pianos on the Praga label.

f major, op 27, 1794. Koch Schwann, with the op 17 and op 40 concertos.

regards
Peter

chill319

Sorry, fellas. I must have been thinking of the G-minor. I didn't have Craw at hand, the Wikipedia list doesn't give dates, and for some reason Search on this forum doesn't bring up material from a few months back.

Regarding the G-minor, I note that in Early Music 24 (1996), p.360, Simon McVeigh wrote of the work: "Dussek seems doomed to be discussed in terms of other composers. Over the G minor concerto, op. 49, looms the shadow of Beethoven—even the 'Emperor'—in both the grandeur of the piano figuration and the delicate high passagework..."

Beethoven's opus 73 was written about 10 years later, of course. Opus 37 would be from two years later.

JimL

Quote from: chill319 on Sunday 20 June 2010, 21:00Beethoven's opus 73 was written about 10 years later, of course. Opus 37 would be from two years later.
Not quite.  Beethoven's C minor Concerto is roughly contemporaneous with the Dussek, and may have been composed and performed as early as 1800.

eschiss1

Giles Enders mentions Franck's first piano concerto in his opening valley.

I thought this was in fact lost (or at least seriously misplaced), which was among the reasons why the second had received several recordings to date - nothing on par with the popularity of his symphonic variations of course (far from it), but enough to explain why the first and second concertos aren't coupled together. I might be misremembering or remembering something stated inaccurately. Anyone know?
Is Carl Loewe's first piano concerto still in existence? (I gather his E minor symphony has received a public performance- perhaps that could form a companion CD with the first concerto to go with the Koch disc of the D minor symphony and 2nd conc. ...)
Eric

eschiss1

Re Dussek op.49 by the way, a 1-piano reduction (hopefully more to come sometime) has been available for some time at http://imslp.org/wiki/Piano_Concerto,_Op.49_(Dussek,_Jan_Ladislav).

John H White

It might interest Forum members to know that a descendant of the composer, Michael Dussek, is  Professor of Piano at the Royal Academy of Music in London and his piano trio occasionally come to play at Freshwater, Isle of Wight. A couple of years ago, prompted by myself and other members of the West Wight Arts association, they played William Hurlstone's Piano Trio, which they had previously recorded. Maybe they could be persuaded to play and/or record something by their pianist's ancestor at some later date.

giles.enders

I am surprised that someone should claim Michael Dussek is a decendent of the composer.  I asked him that very question two years ago and he said that he was unable to make the link, and could only trace his own Dussek history back to 1850.

Giles Enders

John H White

It seems I stand corrected Giles! :-[

eschiss1

There's some more information about Dussek's concertos and their structure and dates of composition in a book that can be skimmed here:
http://books.google.com/books?id=h0Lv6dd_htQC (search for Dussek at the left bar.)
Eric

giles.enders

I do know who the owner of the Sterndale-Bennett piano concerto No6 is. A 90 year old woman who married into the family.  The worry is, what will happen to a number of MS which she ownes. 
Giles Enders

Richard Moss

Just a post-script to the 'first' comment praising Giles' list of Piano concertos. 

There is also:

1) an example of lists on WIKIPEDIA, found at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_compositions_for_piano_and_orchestra

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_compositions_for_keyboard_and_orchestra

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Romantic_composers

2) also, a list of romantic composers on Presto International, various lists by Michael Herman on Musicweb International, Classical Composers Database, Classical Lost & Found (www.clofo.com) etc.

3) There is also the RED catalogue of currently available CDs.

4) Unpublished treasure troves of recorded music, such as BBC archives (probably similar in old USSR contries) et al

I'm not aware, over the many years since I acquired my first (Gramaphone?) Classical Music Catalogue in the 1960s, that there is a 'free', publically-available database of all known world-wide classsical music broadcast and issued (LPs, CDs etc), regardless of whether current or not.

The result is that us mere mortals, who are not well-connected to the trade, have absolutely no idea of what there is, whether it is/was recorded or broadcast and where to find it.  This site is extremely invaluable and much appreciated for the light it shines in obscure corners but I would also appreciate any advice on how, as a retired person based at home, I can hope to be aware of what there is in  this 'romantic' lost treasures vein without spending hours contunually trawling multiple sites on the off-chanv ce of coming across something new (for example, I only found out by luck about this sight and also about recent Cameo Classics relases of Brull and Jadassohns music - what finds!

thalbergmad

Quote from: Richard Moss on Sunday 27 June 2010, 10:59
This site is extremely invaluable and much appreciated for the light it shines in obscure corners but I would also appreciate any advice on how, as a retired person based at home, I can hope to be aware of what there is in  this 'romantic' lost treasures vein without spending hours contunually trawling multiple sites on the off-chanv ce of coming across something new

Trawling for me is half the fun as it makes the discovery somewhat more satisfying.

The internet has made me lazy and I do miss my days in London sifting through the delights at Harold Moores and Travis & Emery.

Thal