Bargiel Symphony etc. on Sterling

Started by Aramiarz, Thursday 11 December 2014, 05:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Aramiarz

Dear friends, it will be very interesting listen the two versions. The only diference is that Sterling has the Intermezzo, Toccata has the Prometheus Ouverture

Alan Howe

I assume you are referring to the Symphony, Aramiarz. Can you give us details of the orchestra and conductor involved? They'll have to be extremely good to compete with the Toccata team...

eschiss1

the Intermezzo would be the orchestration of the slow movement from his piano sonata, if I'm not mistaken?... (lovely movement in either guise.)

Aramiarz

Dear Erick: Yes!!!
Dear Alan: the conductor is José Miramontes Zapata and the orchestra is OSSLP (Orquesta
Sinfónica de San Luis Potosí). Exactly is the Symphony, Medea, Intermezzo and Trauerspiel inspired in Romeo and Julieta.

Alan Howe

Seems Sterling are doing a lot of work in Mexico!

Aramiarz

Yes my friend!! In 2015 Comes Castro, more Ponce, Curiel, Moór, Bordes, Duparc, Scharwenka, etc!!!I have too the wish of Haarklou :-[
There are a lot of work!!!

Alan Howe

Wonderful news. How marvellous that you have musicians willing to undertake this work on behalf of forgotten composers and their music!

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

Aramiarz asks:

Dear Alan, What is your opinion about the performance?

Alan Howe

It's hard to tell exactly from the audio excerpts, but they sound very promising.

Aramiarz

Dear Alan, Thank You very much for your comments, It will be interesting to know your words when You have listened all the Cd!

Alan Howe

OK, let's take the Symphony.
Timing comparisons with the Toccata recording are revealing:

I             II             III            IV           Overall
Toccata        8:24       10:50       4:36         6:16         30:06
Sterling      11:00         8:43       5:15         6:38         31:36

So, there are some obvious differences: In the first movement it appears that the Sterling performance must include a repeat left out in the Toccata recording as the tempi are pretty similar. The slow movement is substantially quicker in the Sterling performance, whereas it is the other way round in the third-movement Menuett. The finale is similar in feel in both performances.

On the whole, I'd favour the Toccata recording for the following reasons:

- the Menuett to my mind is too stately in the Sterling performance.
- there are some distracting audience/orchestra (?) noises in the Sterling performance (which was
       recorded live).
- the Sterling recording is somewhat glassy sounding, although the orchestra is set further back in
      a fairly resonant acoustic, which some might prefer.
- the Toccata performance is tidier overall and more powerful. The recording is more 'upfront' and
      analytical.

However, I did like the greater sense of scale of the first movement in the Sterling recording. Overall, it's great to have two recordings of this life-enhancing work.

By the way, the English translation featured in the Sterling booklet is unidiomatic. The booklet which accompanies the Toccata release is much more detailed and helpful.

Aramiarz

Dear Alan
Thank you very much for your importants comments!! But, Do you enjoy the 2 versions ?And your opinion about Medea's performances?

Alan Howe

I found both versions of the symphony convincing and enjoyable. I am glad I have both CDs!
However, I haven't made any other comparisons yet.

eschiss1

Anyone want to compare all 3 versions (interpretatively, not sonically) - Sterling, Toccata, radio broadcast? :)