News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Your finds of 2014

Started by Alan Howe, Sunday 28 December 2014, 23:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Gauk

So many finds in 2014 - it used to be one was lucky to discover one unfamiliar composer a year - now it is more like one a week.

To single out one, I would pick the piano concerto by Nicholas Tcherepnin. I have long been familiar with the piano concertos of his better-known son (especially the second, which I love), but coming across one by the father was a surprise. It is a striking work, in one movement (resembling the Rimsky-Korsakov concerto in that respect), with a pretty strenuous piano part.

I clipped off the opening phrase and uploaded it to my phone so it plays when a text message arrives. So if you can recognise that pgrase, and you suddenly hear it in a train or somewhere, you know who is in the vicinity, c'est moi.

Aramiarz

Where is the Tcherepnin's concert??

Gauk

sdtom

http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2014/12/17/minnesota-orchestra-showcase-99-special/

I found quite an exciting batch of CD's at a thrift store for $.99 each and this was one of them. Of special interest to me was the Deems Taylor work which is included as an audio clip.
Tom

semloh

The paucity of responses to the original question - re the best finds of 2014 - has been very disappointing. I really thought members' discoveries would be flooding in. Oh well, shows what I know!  ???

Ilja

Maybe I should add that for me personally, there have been a few highlights: the Moszkowski Op. 3 concerto was one, the Oswald (so many people have been praising the NapoleĆ£o, but I really think the Oswald is the superior concerto on that disc by some margin) was another. Furthermore, this year was the first I got to hear the Gernsheim A major quartet for the first in a live performance. That alone made my year.

eschiss1

I recall I made some good musical finds (for myself; not all unsung or unknown, except in some sense "to me") in 2014 but they (mostly?) didn't fall (even glancingly) within the remit of this group.

Alan Howe

eschiss1

Hrm. Finally-getting-around-to listening to Gernsheim violin sonatas (bought in 2013 as download from Amazon, I wonder if the (1 or 2) ms. violin sonatas in the Gernsheim archive are performable and worth someone's recording too...); some quite good things from Steve's Bedroom Band but those are not, as strictly defined, recordings (but still, often enough striking enough music that I envy the above poster who got to hear the A major Gernsheim quartet (no.5) live)... 

(also some MIDIs of chamber works by Bertini (e.g. his 3rd violin sonata, etc.) - good enough works that I do want to hear more of his music actually recorded- but that's a discovery that, in itself, I'd probably have to put back in 2013, when I started noticing his music.

(I'd want to include Czerny's 5th symphony, 1st movement- from a video of just that movement by the Virtuosi of Houston- but it seems iTunes is telling me I have only listened to the mp3 I "extracted" from that once (so far), on January 9th of this year- so a find of 2015 it will have to be. Hrm. ... I feel like there was more in 2014 that qualifies here - not coming to mind though, except for memorable performances of works that weren't themselves new to me (like Taneev's piano quartet, and there were a gladdening number of others).

Alan Howe

Revilod

Oswald's Piano Concerto. I can't stop playing it!

Gauk

Most of my listening is 20th century, but one very unfamiliar work I have played several times with enjoyment, and might find approval here, is the 4th symphony in E flat minor of Joseph Ryelandt, "Credo", which, as you might expect from the title, is a choral work, the finale of which is a setting of the credo from the Latin mass. It was composed in 1912, and can be described as late Romantic in character: dramatic, expansive, impassioned. I look forward to hearing more of his music. I see that the last time his symphonies were mentioned on this board was in 2011, so he may be an unfamiliar figure to some posters.

semloh

Revilod - I enjoy everything I've heard by Oswald, and am re-visiting the Piano Concerto after reading your note! Lovely, late romantic music.  ;)

eschiss1

re Oswald I'm looking over a list of items and am wondering if his piano quintet (pub. in the 1930s and in the collection, I think, of the Free Library of Philadelphia? I'll double-check) has been recorded?

ncouton

My major 2014 discovery is... an incredible German post-romantic symphony, never recorded...

I'd like so much to record it one day that I'm afraid to share this discovery in public... :-X

:-[