News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Your finds of 2014

Started by Alan Howe, Sunday 28 December 2014, 23:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Aramiarz

Dear Ncouton, what symphony? I'm very curious!

Martin Eastick

Eric, and any others who may be interested, re Oswald; his Piano Quintet Op18 dates from 1895 and has been recorded. In fact, I have 3 different versions! They are No1:"Brasil 500" (coupled with the Quartet by Luis de Freitas Branco) featuring the pianist Luiz de Moura Castro with the Quarteto de Brasilia; issued by Estudio GLB CD5, 1999. No2: Included in a 3CD set of Oswald chamber music  issued by ArsBrasil, 2010, (more details on www.oswald.com.br). No3: Musica da Camara: coupled with his Piano Quartet Op26, with the pianist Eduardo Monteiro and others, LAMI-012 issued by LAMI/USP/PRCEU, under licence from the Universidade de SaƵ Paulo!

Unfortunately, I had considerable difficulties obtaining these CD's, and others from Brazil. But perhaps someone here has access to, or can advise of an easier method of  obtaining these interesting recordings which surely must have a rather limited circulation without any obvious means of  international distribution!

Needless to say, I feel that music was more than well worth the effort, and, with the apparent success of the Hyperion recording, I hope that others may want to explore Oswald in more detail.

semloh

Balapoel

I would say one of my best finds of 2014 was unexpected. I didn't know what I would get with Scottish-American James Friskin's (1886-1967) chamber works. In particular the elegy and piano quintet in c minor, op 1 were gems.

See http://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php?topic=4858.0
... though not much review was to be had. I found all of the pieces charming.

Jonathan

I've been meaning to post this for a few days - my find would have to be the Naxos recording of Tyberg's 2nd symphony and 2nd sonatas. Great stuff with a similar structural composition (IMHO) to Bruckner.

eschiss1

The Friskin quintet's material (score, parts, iirc) is available on IMSLP, but for copyright reasons (Canadian 50-year rule/European 70) you have to be in the USA (or similar) to browse it for now (we used to have a US-material-only server accessible one could upload stuff to for composers who died so late but who published material like the quintet which was in the US public domain.) Having browsed (in fact I think uploaded) it myself there, I second that statement- but having access to the score I'd now forgotten, or just didn't know, it was recorded.  Must look into that. Thanks much!

(The only other time I recall encountering Friskin's name so far, was as a keyboard (piano) performer in a big Bach set available very cheaply (-very- - those are neat, if one lacks enough of that music, as I actually still did...) as a download from Amazon.com. Which... well- anyway! Good performances, I think, specifically the Friskin, and more generally mostly.)