Mendelssohn/Merk : Variations brillante for piano and cello

Started by promusician, Friday 16 January 2015, 11:32

Previous topic - Next topic

promusician

Reposted via my own blogspot, not mentioned in this forum before.

"Felix Mendelssohn composed the piano part of a joint composition with Joseph Merk, noted Austrian cellist, it is not known where the theme of the set of variations came from, but a wonderful theme it is! Score originally set for cello and piano but only the piano part by Felix Mendelssohn survived. By using themes in the piano part, Taglietti figured out the cello part. A video of the premiere has been recorded and released in conjunction with the DVD - Mendelssohn Unknown, featured Roberto Prosseda and Steven Isserlis."

Composed 11 years earlier than his variations seriuses, I found this piece extremely enjoyable both melodically and technically though it's a reconstruction. Video is unlisted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L56pbIwPeQo

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

It's a very lively and virtuosic completion, fabulously played by Isserlis, which is great fun. It's also in striking contrast to the later completion by Mendelssohn scholar R Larry Todd, which is rather more sober and restrained. The background to that completion is told in this Boston Globe story and a recording of the piece can be bought on CD or as a digital download here. The contrast between the two completions shows what an unreliable business reconstructing unfinished or incomplete music can be!

promusician

Thanks for the additional recording, but I can't listen to the clips, it say plugin not found. Judging by Todd's completion of the third piano concerto, I found it to be rather dull and conservative, perhaps from a scholar's perspective. It seems that the Italians have more creativity. Anyway, I have the score to the Taglietti's completion and will most likely to request for permission to share to those who can promise a recording. I even attempt to make a piano solo version of the work but it seem to be far more difficult.

kolaboy

"his friendship with Bach.."
I'm guessing they meant "admiration of."