Yugoslav works for two violins..

Started by eternalorphea, Tuesday 06 January 2015, 02:44

Previous topic - Next topic

eternalorphea

I'm quite fond of this instrumental formation and, for one, perceive it a beautiful means of compeering student wth teacher, or tightening bonds among members of bourgeois household.

Some old musicians (few violinists, composers) of high social rank and reputation in their respective times, several of which aren't living no more, taught me that the chamber form of the violin duo is by far the most awkward and ungrateful instrumental formation to write for, and so never does a new such composition in the composer's output, regardless of it's ordinal number, happen to be an evolvee of a proof method stage, just a new attempt to master the form.

Anyone have particular interest, knows a work? Join the thread, contribute to the list..

violinconcerto

why only Yugoslav works? Does works for 2 violins and orchestra also count?

eternalorphea

Of all the 2 violin music that falls within the remit of romantic declared by the moderators the Yugoslav I am most unfamiliar with.

Though title "works for 2 violins" linguistically equals two unaccompanied violins, in general it states for all compositions where they're the two soloists.

eternalorphea

Božidar Širola
Duet C-major for 2 violins

Ladislav Miranov
Folk melodies for 2 violins

Drago Kocakov
Sonata for 2 violins 'Intimus'

Franjo Dugan
Duo for 2 violins in G-major

Most probably all four of them knew each other as they were living in the center of the at the time small town Zagreb, and were active at the same few venues..

Alan Howe

When were these pieces written/published?

eschiss1

The Kocakov may be somewhat late in date if not necessarily in style, since he was born in 1908 and died in 1977. See here for some information on his duo "Intimus" and on the composer and IMSLP for a typeset; it seems to have been composed in 1951.  Eternalorphea, I think that probably puts it out of court here.

Franjo Dugan's dates, according to IMSLP, are 1874-1948.  He composed a sonata for violin and piano in G minor in 1908, but I don't know of a 2-violin duo by him... ah, I see, Wikipedia (Croatian) lists one but does not give source or composition date.

Alan Howe

We need to remember to keep to music that falls within our remit here.

eschiss1

... hrm, 3 string quartets by Dugan composed in 1908. ... If they're any good, well, I often like that "period"... need to keep my eyes and ears out for scores and recordings, there. Thanks for the mention...

violinconcerto

A search in my book gave (due to the topic "concertante violin") only compositions for 2 violins and orchestra. I actually found the topic "Yugoslav" a bit weird without a "Yugoslavia" nowadays, but thought you just mean all Croatians, Serbians, Slovenians, B&Hs, Kosovari, Macedonian and Montenegri.

Petar Stojanovic: Concerto for 2 violins and orchestra op.77

Marko Mihevc: Concerto for 2 violins and orchestra

Nina Senk: Concerto for 2 violins, strings and percussion

Adalbert Markovic: Caskanje for 2 violins and tamburica orchestra

Best,
Tobias

eschiss1

Stojanovic seems rather interesting with his early, Regerian (judging from a look at the scores @ IMSLP, anyway- I haven't heard them and might be way off in assessing the actual sound) chamber works...

eternalorphea

Reply to Violinconcerto's question(?) 'I actually found the topic "Yugoslav" a bit weird without a "Yugoslavia" nowadays, but thought you just mean all Croatians, Serbians, Slovenians, B&Hs, Kosovari, Macedonian and Montenegri'.

Jugoslavia = Južna + Slavija = South + Slavia (Slavic land). So, it is -theoretically- a term independent of the homonymous political alliance