P. Scharwenka scores for projects this year

Started by Aramiarz, Tuesday 06 January 2015, 22:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Aramiarz

Dear friends, I have 5 scores:
Symphony, I forget the op in this moment!! 94, 96 ?
Symphonietta op 115
ViolĂ­n concert op 95
Festouverture op 43
Traume und wirlichkeit (symphonic poem) op 92

I have the "problem" :D, for determinate as grouping and what pieces first for start one volume and after the second volume. This is for performance and recording. I wish to know your comments!!

eschiss1

If the timing works, I'd say maybe one major work per album - and one briefer work. Any guesses -by composer, or others, anywhere (or historical data from actual performances- anyone??)- as to the average length of each work?...

Alan Howe

Toskey's encyclopedia has a timing of 25 mins for the Violin Concerto, but he can be unreliable in such matters.

As for couplings, you probably have two choices: either put the Symphony and Violin Concerto on one CD and hope to create a lot of interest in the composer, leaving the remaining works for a second CD; or, as Eric suggests, put one major work on each CD.

Thanks, Aramiarz, for sharing these plans with us. I for one greatly look forward to further recordings of Philipp Scharwenka' music made with your fine orchestra in San Luis Potosi...

Gareth Vaughan

From my experience, I think it probably better to put one major work on each CD (the symphony on one, the VC on another). It will depend on timings, of course.

Aramiarz

Dear friends, thank you!! I don't have the times!! Maybe never comeback to performance rince were premiered!! The symphony has 200 pages around. The Sinfonietta around 110 pages. What piece do you like listen first? The VC or the symphony?

Gareth Vaughan

I would be in favour of recording the VC first.

Alan Howe

eschiss1

Has his serenade Op.19 been recorded, by the way? I see Fleisher has score and parts for that.

FBerwald

I was hoping that the violin concerto would turn up on Hyperion's Romantic Violin Concerto series

Alan Howe

Me too. But since there's no apparent sign of that, let's encourage Aramiarz and his team in Mexico...

eschiss1

They might well in many cases prefer to record works for which score and parts are already available (unless something really called out to them, as perhaps a violin concerto subtitled Hyperion might (Calling Richard Wetz's estate. :D )). The violin concerto score's available at IMSLP, but it's possible someone might have to prepare a set of parts?

Aramiarz

Dear friends!! Thank you for your support!! Bargiel had some troubles, but the next releases have others circunstances!! all will be better!! Why do you prefer the Vc? I have some much interest in this work as you!! But I think that the symphony too generate atraction!! I saw the Serenade in Fleisher. It will have space in the 2 cd's? We have 5 scores, more Serenade will be 6!
I have the person for parts. No one score we have parts. But doesn't problem!!!

Alan Howe

My reason for choosing the Violin Concerto is B.R.Toskey's positive assessment of the work in his Concertos for Violin and Viola: a Comprehensive Encyclopedia. However, I would be happy with any combination of works on two separate CDs as I would buy them both...

Aramiarz

Dear Alan, thank you!!! In this book, what is the opinion by Toskey's? Surely is one wonderful piece!! Phillipp dedicated to his wife. The Toskey's book in what year was written?

Alan Howe

Toskey decribes the VC as "very melodious, employing very melodious chromatic modulations, and is of very bright cheerful disposition....The solo is very easy to execute and plays brilliantly at sight."

My copy of Toskey's book dates from 1983.