Composer deaths in March 2012

Started by eschiss1, Thursday 29 March 2012, 07:26

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

that I know of: Edvard Hagerup Bull (born 1922) and Aleksandr Ariutiunian (of a well-known trumpet concerto) (born 1920, died the 28th.) (Wikipedia lists some others I haven't heard of, including Frank Marocco (b.1931).)

Latvian

Czech composer Miloš Vacek died on 2/29/12, which most any other year would have been March 1st.  ;D

eschiss1

That's also known, of course, as "Sullivan" or "Pinafore" or "G&S" or "Penzance" day, naturally... (what? it has another name? I'm not jumping to hear that one.)

Jacky

Haim Alexander (1915-2012) z.l a central figure of the Israeli school.Like Ben Haim,Partos,Tal, he was born and raised in Europe before WW II and fled to Palestine establishing with them the Israeli classical musical school.Albeit their music is deeply rooted in Europe's music of those years-mainly atonality, dodecaphony or expressionism,each of those  embarked eventually different paths towards neoclassic or even an "Israeli" sound,melting in their stylistic mould oriental rythms or scales.

thalbergmad

Probably a little bit off topic, but Earl Scruggs died a couple of days ago.

Perhaps many of you have not heard from him as he was not from the classical world, but his contribution to American music was huge.

If anyone here has tried to play Bluegrass Banjo, you will know just how skilled this man was.

I will miss him Hugely.

Thal :'(

Latvian

QuoteHaim Alexander (1915-2012) z.l a central figure of the Israeli school.Like Ben Haim,Partos,Tal, he was born and raised in Europe before WW II and fled to Palestine establishing with them the Israeli classical musical school.Albeit their music is deeply rooted in Europe's music of those years-mainly atonality, dodecaphony or expressionism,each of those  embarked eventually different paths towards neoclassic or even an "Israeli" sound,melting in their stylistic mould oriental rythms or scales.

For years, I couldn't find any information about him, but his name has been appearing here and there lately. Still haven't hardly any of his music, though. Does anyone on the forum have anything of his?

kolaboy

Quote from: thalbergmad on Friday 30 March 2012, 21:04
Probably a little bit off topic, but Earl Scruggs died a couple of days ago.

Perhaps many of you have not heard from him as he was not from the classical world, but his contribution to American music was huge.

If anyone here has tried to play Bluegrass Banjo, you will know just how skilled this man was.

I will miss him Hugely.

Thal :'(

Being from North Carolina I've certainly heard of ES. He was a genius in his particular field of music.

Claude Torres

Haim Alexander (9. August 1915, as Heinz Günter, in Berlin - in Israel since 1936 - 18 march 2012 in Jérusalem) חיים אלכסנדר‎

Born in Berlin, Germany, 9.8.1915. Studied piano and music theory at the Stern Conservatory. Settled in Israel in 1936. Studied composition with Stefan Wolpe and others.
Since 1945, Haim Alexander taught piano, music theory, cembalo, and composition at the Jerusalem Rubin Academy of Music and Dance, Jerusalem. Among the numerous prizes he won are the Engel prize, I.M.I Prize and the Acum Prize. His compositions have been performed in Israel and abroad.

Some recordings

Improvisation on a Persian Song
Harpsichord Music By Israeli Composers
Albany 977

Mein Blaues Klavier
An Meine Freunde
Ouvertüre
Mein Herz Ruht Müde

Come Un'Ombra Di Luna
ECM 461 719-2 (ECM New Series 1739 )
Ensemble Belcanto

Prolog
Epilog

Pioneers and Exiles
Violin Music from Israel
Hänssler Classic 93126 (includes Ben-Haim's Solo violin Sonata)
Kolja Lessing

Claude

eschiss1

And trumpet players will have heard of Alexander Arutiunian (died March 28 '12).