Question about Louis Abbiate (1866-1933)

Started by eschiss1, Saturday 10 January 2015, 15:32

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

About 4 years ago we had some brief interest here in orchestral and concertante music by Louis/Luigi Abbiate out of Monaco.  I was wondering if anyone had heard, or knew, any of his substantial output of chamber music (there's a cello sonata @ IMSLP, but also, I gather, a
*string quartet Op.8 published in 1901,
*a Suite for cello and piano Op.16 after the Intermezzo of Heinrich Heine (yes, him too- Ropartz used this title) published in 1907
* an earlier suite for the same Op.5 (pub.1904)
* Preludes and fugues for solo cello (pub.1901)
* Largo & scherzino, for bassoon & piano (pub.1901)
* Violin sonata in B-flat major Op.57 (composition date- ?; pub.1925)
* several sonatas for solo piano (published from 1904 (2nd sonata) to 1932 (sonata 5) or so, but the date of piano sonata no.5, pub.1932, is "Cinquième Sonate (1914), pour piano (Op. 64)") (there's a recording of his piano music, I see- a 1978 LP, and a 1978 LP of his cello sonatas, also individual recordings by Ringeissen of the piano sonatas from 1980 on Calliope... didn't know of these- hrm) (BNF also mentions a recording of (piano?) sonatas 7 & 8 which perhaps exist only in manuscript- I don't know?...)
Anyhow, anyone heard these works, from LP or broadcasts?... the concertos seem fine, as I recall.

Aramiarz

Too I have some interest in him, but I have can't listen his music!! Have you found orchestral music?may be piano concerts? He was good pianist but didn't get acknowlegdment as composer, isn't true?

Gareth Vaughan

Fleisher has the Lament for cello and orchestra, Op. 109 and the Villanelle for oboe & orchestra, Op. 2.

vicharris

eschiss1

We have or had his piano concerto, cello concerto and a tone poem uploaded in our "archives" here, I think- thanks for pointing me to the YouTube link, I will see if I can find what I'm looking for there since it's solo and chamber works I have not heard.

jerfilm

The cello sonatas were available on a stereo LP years ago. 

Jerry