Bortkiewicz on Dutton

Started by musiclover, Tuesday 13 January 2015, 19:46

Previous topic - Next topic

musiclover

I've just heard from a friend in the RSNO that they spent the last few days recording the Bortkiewicz Violin Concerto and Othello with Martin Yates. Presumably this is for Dutton Epoch. My friend said it sounded fantastic and that the Russian soloist in the concerto was sensational. Hopefully if it is Dutton they will turn it around quickly and get it out for all of us Bortkiewicz fans!

Alan Howe

Fantastic news! I wonder whether the soloist is Sergey Levitin, as on the new Widor CD?

Mark Thomas

Christopher

musiclover

Alan, a good call. Apparently it is Sergey Levitin. My friend at the RSNO said he is superb so this looks like it is going to be quite worth looking forward to.

Alan Howe

Thanks for the info. It's great to have such an adventurous and able violinist...

Richard Moss

Particularly, given comments in other earlier threads by Gareth, Giles, Alan, Adriano et al about the costs of putting a CD together, it's very pleasing that Dutton are able to, and do, take the time and trouble over producing unsung works such as these (I would argue that although Bortkiewicz is not a complete unsung composer, these works are).

Even though I have the UC downloads of these works in my library, this looks like (yet) another reason to bust the overdraft!

Que sera and let's hope for an early release.

Cheers

Richard

Aramiarz

Excellent new, I hope soon the cello concert!

musiclover

Perhaps we should at least write to Dutton to ask them to consider the other remaining in recorded works. When I spoke with Lewis Foreman, who does rep suggestions for Dutton, he said that mostly Martin Yates suggests the rep he wishes to conduct with Dutton, so maybe we should make suggestions to Martin....

Christopher

Does anyone know of the planned release date for this?