Question about Czerny symphony 5

Started by eschiss1, Sunday 01 February 2015, 13:08

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Anyone have a copy of the new performing edition of Czerny's symphony 5 (in E-flat, 1845) (released in 2001 (maybe 1997), edited and published by Michael Krämer, I think- possibly its first ever printed publication?)? I ask because the existing recording of the work gives only Andante- for the first movement header, but I'm guessing that's not a complete description (like giving Adagio for the first movement of one of Haydn's London Symphonies after looking at the first bar; it's the opening tempo, sure, fine, but one has forgotten that it's customary to include the tempo of the "main fast section" (if any)). 

(I do have a recording of this one movement off YouTube - not from the Signum CD, but from the Virtuosi of Houston - hrm- yep, pretty definitely the opening (starting about 10 seconds in) is an introduction to a main section starting about 2:30 into the video/track. Nice, too (no, I'm not surprised.) Still like to know what the tempi of the various sections are (if only for the usual iTunes record-keeping dolphins, er porpoises, erm, purposes!- well- because it's fun. Tried finding it at a library but none of those that have it interloan (freely?) to my local library, I think.

(Actually, I'll try anyway once my current 5-item maximum queue starts to clear. Oberlin has it, though they charge an extra fee. ... It's worth considering. Hrm! Anyhow... anyone have a copy of the Czerny/Krämer they can browse? :) Thanks! )

(One item for which I do have a hold request pending, that might be of some interest here for other reasons is Karl Weigl's sym.1 (1908)-- (FE, not the recent reprint) but we'll see if that arrives.)