York Bowen's Viola Concerto

Started by John H White, Saturday 17 January 2015, 16:41

Previous topic - Next topic

John H White

Next Saturday 24th January the Isle of Wight Symphony Orchestra, under their conductor Jonathan Butcher, will be including a performance of the York Bowen Viola Concerto with the young Spanish Violist Loreno Canto Wolteche as soloist, in their all English programme. The other works in the concert are Vaughan Williams's Wasps Overture and Elgar's 2nd Symphony. This takes place at their usual venue, the Medina Theatre, Newport, Isle of Wight. Tickets, at £14, are obtainable from the Theatre box office whose phone number is 01983 823884
   I cannot say that I am familiar with any of York Bowen's music, but I might go along just to support our local band.

Alan Howe

The Bowen is a really fine late-romantic piece, John. You should enjoy it greatly.

rosflute

The sonata for flute has long been known to flute players. It is a fabulous work :)

minacciosa

It's a terrific concerto for the instrument, frankly among the very best written for the viola.

eschiss1

There's a recording on Hyperion, by the way, coupled with Forsyth's. (Some of Bowen's works, though not the viola concerto Op.25 so far, can be seen, in US/Canada non-copyright- or just Canada-non-copyright, depending on publication date- versions (most of his music will be in public domain in the EU too, but not until 2032, assuming laws do not get yet stricter), @ IMSLP.org.)

Jimfin

Yes, it's one of the best viola concertos, and I think one of Bowen's best concerti (and he wrote quite a few).

John H White

Thanks very much, gentlemen for all those enthusiastic replies. Tomorrow I shall endeavour  to book tickets.

alberto

I too am a fan of Bowen Viola Concerto. Besides the Hyperion, I own also an ASV recording (obviously today deleted).

John H White

The IWSO performed to their usual high standard but I didn't care very much for the Bowen concerto apart from the finale. However I enjoyed the Wasps overture and the Elgar No 2, particularly the finale

semloh

Sorry that you weren't impressed by the Viola Concerto, John.

Although I enjoy Bowen's music generally, I admit that I too am not a great fan of the viola concerto. I think the orchestral component is masterful, but the viola part seems rather dull and at times a bit boring! It always seems so joyless, and the hint of triumph in the quick, closing section is a welcome relief. Dare I say that it may be the viola itself that's the problem... and perhaps you have to be in the right mood for its consistently mournful tone. .....(awaits protests!!)

Jimfin

I don't think anyone has bettered Walton in writing a viola concerto. But then I mostly think of that as an orchestral work, with the soloist largely unimportant.

minacciosa

Being very familiar with Quincy Porter's Viola Concerto, I don't hesitate to posit that IMO it is the greatest concerto written for that instrument. it's a ceaselessly resourceful work endowed with perfect balance of content and execution. The viola sings and flies, and the orchestra supports and shines in apposite manner. If you haven't heard it, try to do so. It's also one of the more difficult concertos for soloist, and rhythmically of the orchestra.

Alan Howe

I'd put the Walton at No.1 simply because of its originality. Anyway, back to the Bowen...

Alan Howe

By the way, John, I'm sure we all appreciate your expertise in Porter.