Chapi String Quartets 1 & 2

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 22 January 2015, 11:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

FEBCT

This reviewer was, apparently, in an overly-generous mood when he wrote that review. 

Appealing music, yes.   But - "amazing" powers of invention?  "Master lyricist?"  "Astonishingly colorful?"  Hyperbole - thy name is Hurwitz.

Try the quartets by Jesus Guridi.  (and, by the way, his lovely Sinfonia pirenaica.)

Alan Howe

Have you heard the quartets? I very much like the sound of the excerpts at Amazon.co.uk:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00R72D3TE/ref=dm_cd_album_lnk
Lovely, tuneful stuff!

In any case you can't really compare them with Guridi's - which date from 1933 and 1949 and are written in a heavily chromatic late-late romantic idiom.

FEBCT

Indeed I have heard them - why would I offer a comment if I had not?

Have you?

Alan Howe

I have only heard the audio samples - the full works aren't yet on sale either as downloads or as a physical CD. Hence my question...

I assume, then, that they have been recorded before - which I hadn't realised...?

FEBCT

Yes, sir.

And, while they are fine works, I think Mr. Hurwitz is in danger of exaggerating their merits. 

But don't let me put you off.  Enjoy the Chapi Quartets.

Alan Howe

You may well be right about Hurwitz's assessment. Shame the set you have seems to be unavailable...

FEBCT

Well, the new recording appears to release in a few days.  So, as the esteemed moderators around this place often exclaim - "let's move on."

eschiss1

I seem to recall that set has just been reissued, which may be the occasion for Mr. Hurwitz's review- but I may be thinking of something somewhat similar not having to do with Chapi's quartets. However: one of Chapi's quartets (no.1 in G) has been uploaded to our backwards-named "downloads forum" (or rather, a link to it has) etc. (I assume, presume etc. not that of the LP recording). 

All 4 of his quartets were, I believe, all published around the time of composition and have also been republished in a more recent (I assume modern, edited) publication, for those interested in scores/parts as well as recordings...