Félicien David Piano Trios 2 & 3

Started by Alan Howe, Tuesday 27 January 2015, 22:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Having previously dismissed David's chamber music, I decided this evening to download the Marco Polo recording of Piano Trios 2 and 3. I am currently listening to No.3 and am already kicking myself for having persisted for so long in my sniffy attitude to this wonderful music.

Trio No.3 in particular has an almost Schubertian breadth of utterance. Marvellous! Now for the string quartets - has anyone heard them?

Mark Thomas

Don't like to say I told you so, but....  ;)

Alan Howe

It all goes back to David's faux-orientalism which I find dreadfully pale. I rather thought his music must all be salon stuff, but these piano trios are right in the mainstream...

DennisS

I think I too have missed something, basing my opinion on Le Désert which I have had for a very long time and periodically come back to listen to. I only bought Le Désert for its orientalism as some members on this forum probably know that I love my classical music with a touch of orientalism! I have, however, never got to like Le Désert because it simply doesn't sound oriental, at least to me! You hit the nail on the head Alan when you speak of faux-orientalism. That said, I like the comments being made about the piano trios, so I will investigate and probably buy the CD/CDs.

Mark Thomas

I feel bound to agree with you both that David's orientalism in Le Désert is lightly applied, but perhaps it's best to remember that it was a sensational development when the work was written in 1844. Up until then only the various "Turkish marches", briefly popular in the late classical period and very early 1800s, had exposed European audiences to any whiff of the orient. Of course, when compared with what was to come from many (and particularly Russian) composers later in the century its palette is indeed muted, but such movements have to start somewhere and personally I still have a very soft spot for Le Désert.

Alan Howe

QuoteI still have a very soft spot for Le Désert

An oasis of positivity, maybe?  ;)

Amphissa

For those who might be interested, I've added David's String Quartet No. 3 to the downloads. I detect no orientalism (faux or otherwise) in this piece. I have not seen any commercial recording of this quartet. Does anyone know the date of this piece?

eschiss1

Ok, editing and correcting - I see that that CD has all -but- the 3rd quartet, and was badly described in that listing. Sorry. As to the date, I gather that quartets 2, 3 and the unfinished 4th are estimated to be from 1869 (or maybe 1869 "or after", anyway).