Ferdinand Sabathil and other unsung composers of flute music

Started by rosflute, Monday 02 February 2015, 18:55

Previous topic - Next topic

rosflute

It just occurred to me that you may be interested in the articles that I research and write about forgotten composers of flute music. They are published every quarter in the Journal of the British Flute Society, but I also put them on my website. I have uncovered and put together some interesting facts, although I struggled with the latest one on Ferdinand Sabathil - it will have to be an ongoing project!

Alan Howe

Ferdinand Sabathil (1856-1937) was an Austrian flautist-composer who studied at the Prague Conservatory under Vilém Blodek. He left approx. 400 works for flute. (Info from German Wikipedia).

eschiss1

Hrm- unsung flute music- makes me think of - among composers - Terschak (at least 3 sonatas among other works?), Tillmetz, Lemmoné, Joachim Andersen among others too (and maybe Emile Pessard, Wilhelm Popp- Sr. or Jr.? ... e.g.) (Some of these names may just have been unknown to me until recently and may be very well known to practicing flutists...)

rosflute

Hi Alan
But, the question seems to be 'WHICH Ferdinand Sabathil' ?
If you read my article, you'll see that I have uncovered a curious anomaly !

and
Hi eschiss1, some of the names [Popp, Anderson] are very well known to flute players, whilst others still [Terschak among them] gain minority performances. One of my previous articles is about Tillmetz.