Catharinus Elling: Violin Concerto

Started by JimL, Friday 06 February 2015, 21:08

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

Does anyone know what the key of this work is?  I can't find this information anywhere.

eschiss1

On the basis of this music manuscript of full score and parts (from the digital section of the Norwegian National Library, I think), assuming he wrote only one and not fragments of others (always a consideration at this website...) - looks like D minor. Starts with the notes A E Bes A, one flat, C-sharps prominent, big (well, not big... but... opens the argument...) D minor cadence in bar 5...

JimL

Thank you Eric!  It is indeed in D minor, brightening up to D Major at the end.

Richard Moss

Jim,

Hoping to confirm Eric's analysis of the key for you, I checked my CD of this concerto (by Norsk Kultur) only to find the booklet notes give no mention of the key at all - a bit like finding no senators in Washington!

Ah well!

Cheers

Richard

jerfilm

Oh, nothing could be as good as THAT, Richard......

j

JimL

If that CD is the one that also contains the D Major String Quartet, it should be no problem identifying the tonality of the concerto, which ends in D Major.  When the quartet starts up, if it doesn't sound like you've changed key, then D is the tonality of both works.

Richard Moss

Jim,

Tks for the updt.  Yes - it is THAT CD and I'll try and give them both a listen in the near future (but after I've listened to a parcel of goodies - Gouvy Symphonies - from JPC that has just arrived!!).  However, I have to admin that, whether or not they are in the same key, I'm not sure my very untutored ears will know the difference (though hopefully I could pick out major from minor).

Anyway, I'll sure give it a try!

Cheers

Richard

eschiss1

tap out at a piano- does the violin concerto begin on strings with chords whose top notes are A E B-flat A? (if you can read an orchestral score- not a universal skill, I know, I know!!!  and the navigation at the site has a learning curve ... sigh...- go to that link I provided to look at the score-and-parts manuscript of the complete violin concerto- if so you'll see the opening after a few pages of the usual covering paper and whatnot, as I recall. I am guessing the same site also has a manuscript of his string quartet. It's a really good site for musicians with an interest in Norwegian composers - lots of musical documents and that includes unfinished works and sketches by composers one might be interested in, too.  (... Yes, I love libraries, especially ones that are allowed to do jobs like this... erm- shut up, Eric...)

Richard Moss

Eric & Jim,

Haven't listened to the Elling VC again yet (still going through Gouvy's lovely symphonies) but following Eric's link to the MS,it gives an image of the score.  It's far too long since I read music (nearly 60 yrs) so I'm beyond rusty.  However the Vln solo part has a key of a single flat on the third (i.e. middle) line of the treble stave.  Does this help (or have I just given you  a better class of muddy water!!)

Will try a few notes on the piano as soon as I can.

Best wishes

Richard

Richard Moss

Eric & Jim,

Worth you guys looking at that link to the score.  It's in the composer's original hand (i.e. not printed) covering some 270+ pp, so hard for me to be sure but right at the start the 1st violins (i.e not the soloist) seem to start in minims with  upper C#, then top E, then something above that (can't read) then possibly back to top E before a downward run of crotchets (from top G??!!).

There was no key indication per se that I saw on the title page.

Not sure if this helps and I think it's making mush of my grey (or gray, if you prefer) cells trying to go back 60 years in a single bound!

Best wishes

Richard

Gareth Vaughan

The Perfect Cadence in Bar 8, before the entry of the solo violin establishes the key as D minor beyond all doubt: V7 - I (chord of the dominant 7th - A major +G - to tonic chord of D minor), the G in the lower line of the divided violas resolving onto F natural, the third of the D minor chord.

JimL

Or you could just look through the MS and see that the key signature of the end of the finale is 2 sharps - D Major.   ;)

Gareth Vaughan

eschiss1

I did mention that it was a manuscript, yes, not a typeset work- therefore in someone's (in this case an autograph, the composer's) hand...