Jurjans cello concerto: "Concerto elegiaco"

Started by JimL, Friday 13 February 2015, 21:11

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

eschiss1

There's a scanned-in thesis online about Jurjāns that has a chapter devoted entirely to the concerto. So let me check. (Isn't the net -wonderful- sometimes- and I say this as someone who's been using it since 1988 or so, and without sarcasm... but yes, sometimes. But still!)

(http://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc279409/m1/94/)

Answer: (composed 1889.) basically, one movement, a large sonata-allegro inspired by Liszt. From the reduction as quoted (p81 of the dissertation), starts Maestoso (quarter=100). P.82 has the beginning of a structure table: introduction Maestoso, followed by Allegro agitato main theme (exposition: bars 35-197), then: episode, Andante (bars 198-287).

Then: Retransition (bars 288-300, Allegro agitato- this according to p.94 of the dissertation, whose description of the concerto is worth reading in more detail). Around bar 400 or so we change mode to E major from minor for the 2nd group and coda, but I think the Andante episode in place of usual-development-section is the thing worth noting (sounds more Schumann in form than Liszt (or so it seems to me), despite the author's comparisons- neither would be a bad thing; just statement-of-fact-etc. ... , but I haven't listened to the concerto yet. Will try to do that!...)

JimL