Ricardo Castro (Herrera) (1864-1907) Piano Concerto etc.

Started by Martin Eastick, Thursday 24 June 2010, 10:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Eastick

Richard,

I am pleased that there at least a few of us who would be pleased to have a CD of the Castro Piano Concerto!

Anyway, I have again gently reminded Mike Spring and he seems to be a little more sympathetic to the idea of doing a Latin American concerto disc to include the Castro - hoepfully sooner rather than later! This may indeed get Rodolfo Ritter moving on his project so let's hope that we will not have too long to wait!

Richard Moss

Amps,  Thanks for the background on the 'Prietos'.  It will undoubtedly help a re-hearing of the CD performance.

Martin, having come across the Carlos PC purely by chance (as Giles had sent me the link to this site, which in turn had the linkl to the Youtube 'PC' clips), if Hyperion (RPCnn??) and Rodolfo Ritter got together to expedite a recording, then that would be marvellous. 

Others more learned than myself have/could suggest suitable couplings (or the PONCE PC2 proposed by Rodolfo??) in the same vein for Mike's consideration.

Let's hope!

JimL

Can anybody get me a key of the cello concerto?  I just got the CD and that particular datum is nowhere to be found on it.

Never mind.  I think I got it.  It's in C minor.  Maybe somebody can confirm this?

Richard Moss

Folks,

Further to the initial chatter a few months ago, I have just come across a more extended version of YOUTUBE clips for the Ricardo Castro piano concerto. 

The link to the 1st mvt is below - YOUTUBE then gives the links to mvts 2 & 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyHOfQ01w0Q

Unfortunately, these clips are sound only.  Not sure if this is now the 'complete' concerto. 

No more word from Rodolfo's web-site about any forthcoming recording, whether coupled with PONCE or not.  If anyone becomes aware of this concerto being available on CD in the Americas on a local release/Spanish language label (i.e. not European mainstream release that say MDT would know of use on the new release facility), I'd really appreciate it if they would post an update to this site.

Best wishes

Richard Moss

edurban

The Intermezzo from Castro's opera Atzimba (first staged January 20, 1901) has been recorded by conductor Alondra de la Parra and her Philharmonic Orchestra of the Americas.  It's available on Sony: the 2 disc set is called Mi Alma Mexicana.  I have it, but haven't listened yet!

David

Richard Moss

David,

Tks for the updt.  Will keep an eye out for it. 

Although Martin had noted earlier about a 'possible' level of commercial interest, nothing so far.  However, my limited experience says that gestation from initial start to commercial release seems to be anything up to 1-2 years in some cases (look how long it took for NAXOS to release Joachim VC1 afte recording it!)

Best wishes

Richard