Howard Brockway (1870-1951)

Started by jerfilm, Thursday 19 February 2015, 17:11

Previous topic - Next topic

jerfilm

This late romantic American composer is another that deserves to be heard.  I just discovered what appears to be the only thing of any consequence (and not much, at that.....)  performed by the St. Paul Chamber Orchestra (can be heard at https://content.thespco.org/music/composers/howard-brockway/.  His Cavatina for violin and orchestra, opus 13 - only 6 minutes.  Quite lovely.  It appears also to be on Youtube - not sure if it's the same performance.

Other works I'd like to hear - his Piano Concerto (mentioned in other posts), a Symphony in D, a Piano Quintet and a Violin Sonata.  There has to be lots more.  Wikipedia is not very helpful, listing a symphonic ballad and a "suite".  IMSPL lists 11 pieces including the Cavatina - highest opus number there is 39.

What's the matter with our American orchestras????

Jerry

Gareth Vaughan

The extant orchestral works of Brockway, apart from the Cavatina, as far as I can ascertain, are the Symphonie in D minor (MS Score & parts in LOC), Ballade for Large Orchestra (MS Score & parts in LOC), the Sylvan Suite (Score and parts in Fleisher Collection). Sadly, the Piano Concerto is thought to be lost.

edurban

I looked for the orchestral version of the Ballade(?-iirc) for cello and orchestra about 30 years ago without success.  The piano/cello version was published.  For some reason, I remember searching one afternoon in the Library of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences...of which Brockway had been a member.  Maybe they have Brockway papers?  I don't remember anything coming of it.  Odd that the nachlass is missing, since he was rather well known and didn't die all that long ago...

David

giles.enders

Howard Angell Brockway  Born 27.11.1870 Brooklyn, US  Died 20.2.1951 New York.

He studied Piano with Korther in NY and in 1890 went to Berlin where he studied under Bardwell and Barth.  In 1903 joined the Peabody Conservatory in Baltimore.  He returned to New York in 1910. He was a composer, teacher and pianist.  He made many piano rolls and was a collector of Kentucky Mountain songs.

Orchestra

Symphony  in D major  Op.12  1894
Ballad for orchestra in G minor  Op.11
Scherzo for orchestra  presumed lost ?
Sylvan Suite  Op.19 :  At Midday, Will o'the Wisps, Dance of the Sylphs, At Midnight, At Daybreak.  pub. by C Schirmer NY
Piano Concerto  presumed lost ?
Cavatina and Romance for violin and orchestra  Op.13  pub. by Schlesinger, Berlin  1895
Suite in E minor  for cello and orchestra

Chamber

Piano Quintet  Op.38  lost?
Violin Sonata in G minor  Op.9  1894
Moment Musical  for violin and piano  Op.16 
Romance for violin and piano  Op.18 Aria, The Coquette and Romance for violin and piano  Op.31  pub by J Church & Co.  1906
Suite for violin and piano  Op.35  1908
La Fille de l'Ermite  for violin and piano  pub. by  H W Gray
Fugue for two violins and piano
Piece for cello and piano (version of suite for cello & Orchestra)

Piano

Two Preludes
Six piano pieces Op.8  1894  pub. by Schlesinger, Berlin
Four pieces  Op.21  Andante Tranquillo, Scherzino, Romance, Valse-Caprice.  pub. by G Schirmer  1898
Two pieces  Op.25  Capriccio, March.  pub. by G Schirmer  1900
Suite for piano Op.26  Idyl, Etude, Scherzo, Evening Song, Humoreske, March.  pub. by G Schirmer
Moods for piano  Op.36  Ein Marchen, Summer Morning, Traumerei, Humoreske, Moonlight, Unrest.  pub. by J Church & Co
Dreaming
At Twilight Op.39/1  pub. by Schirmer  1911
An Idyl of Murmering Water  Op.39/2  pub. by Schirmer  1911
Serenade  Op.28  Pub. by J Church & Co.
Three Armenian Folk Tunes; Lepo-Lele, The Wolford and the Lamb, Wedding March.  pub. by Schirmer

Song

Would thy faith were mine  Op.22/1
Lend me thy Fillet, love  Op.22/2
Six songs; Imitations Op.29/1, The Humming Bird Op.29/2, The Water Lily Op.29.3, Fern Song op.29/4, The Half Ring Moon Op.29/5, The Mocking Bird Op.29/6.  All words by J R Tabb  pub. by J Church & Co.
A Dream (Ein Traum)  Op.30  words by H Heine   pub. by Novello, Ewer & Co.
April  Op.32  words by W Watson
A Life Op.33 words by T Garrison  pub. by J Church & Co.
Aghadoe  Op.34  words by J Todhunter  pub. by J Church & Co.
An Answer  words by O Bruner  pub. by G Schirmer 1911
Matin Song  Op.40  words by T Heywood  1911
A Fable  words by S H Dyer  pub. by J Church & Co.

En Amours  pub. by W H Gray
He collected some folk songs from the Appalacian Mountains which were published in two volumes.

Choral

Canto Domino  Op.6  1892
Wings of a Dove  for chorus  Op.24/1 words by H van Dyke
Hey Nonino   for chorus  Op.24/2  words by Shakespeare
Des Saengers Fluch  for 8 part chorus  Op.27
Herr Olaf  ballad for chorus and orchestra.  words by Herdershirmer
[/i][/size]
A Dream  Op.30/2  part song for men's chorus (version of song for voice and piano) 
Far from my heavenly home. anthem for mixed voices.  words by H F Lyte  pub. by W H Gray 1913
Le Cycle du vin  pub. by W H Gray
The Minstrel's Curse   ballad for 8 part chorus  Op.27  pub. by G Schirmer