Hyperion Romantic Piano Concerto Series: Beach/Chaminade/Howell

Started by edurban, Monday 23 February 2015, 06:26

Previous topic - Next topic

edurban

The Hopekirk Fantasiestuck (is this the Rhapsody?), Chaminade Concertino and Beach Concerto project for the Hyperion Romantic Piano Concerto series will go into the studio this coming August.  Danny Driver is the pianist, with Rebecca Miller conducting the BBC Scottish symphony.  Info from the conductor's website...

David

Please note: the contents of this CD will be:

Amy Beach: Piano Concerto in C-sharp minor, Op. 45
Cécile Chaminade: Concertstück in C sharp minor, Op. 40
Dorothy Howell: Piano Concerto in D minor

Alan Howe, December 2016

vicharris

The Beach and the Chaminade have been around for over 30 years in one production or another. Glad of the Hopekirk, but how many countless other female composers of piano concertos could they have brought to light? (Dora Bright, Marie Jaell in studio productions, Ingeborg Bronsart, Amelie Candeille, Oliveria Louisa Prescott) I also don't see the point of the Albeniz "Concerto Fantastico" getting run through again, so, though Hyperion has provided a huge benefit with this series, it seems that their imagination has been used up.

musiclover

Driver is a really good player so that is good news. I don't know anything about the conductor though. Fingers crossed for a good release. I thought with Mike Spring leaving Hyperion that the series may stall. Good that it hasn't.

Gareth Vaughan

Hmmm...
QuoteIngeborg Bronsart, Amelie Candeille, Oliveria Louisa Prescott)
If anyone knows the whereabouts of the scores of these concertos I would be very grateful if they could let me know (except for the Candeille - sorry - there's a modern edition of that)

edurban

Quote from: vicharris on Tuesday 24 February 2015, 17:38
...though Hyperion has provided a huge benefit with this series, it seems that their imagination has been used up...

Surely it's not as dire as all that!  Besides, the Beach has never had a first rate recording.  MLB was let down by a crummy orchestra and sonics, the Naxos has horrible, clangorous piano sound and as for the 3rd, (was it played by Joanna Polk?) iirc the soloist was not up to the heroic demands of the work and the orchestra, again, miserably recorded.  (I got rid of my copy years ago, so I can't check my memory...) I expect much better from Driver and Hyperion.  This is one of the great American concertos and deserves a worthy recording...

David

eschiss1

I hope they haven't run out; there's a lot more Romantic-in-ethos piano concertos they could reasonably record. But of course one hopes this recording's as good as can be too (Emilie Mayer's concerto for a future release, maybe?)

Rob H

I don't know about a lack of imagination but it seems that the Rozycki concertos are being released at some point. Couldn't swear to it but I think they have been recorded. Jonathan Plowright was playing the first in Poland just recently (his fb page said something like "I'll be playing one of the great romantic concertos").

FBerwald

The Romantic Piano Concerto Vol. 70 - Beach, Chaminade and Howell is to be released in March 2017 as per the website

Danny Driver (piano),  BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra, Rebecca Miller (conductor)

Gareth Vaughan

Can't see anything on Hyperion's website about March 2017 releases. Can you provide a link?

Gareth Vaughan

Thanks very much. A lovely clip from the Beach concerto. What a fine work that is?

MartinH

Yet a third recording of the Beach. Very nice. And still no sign of the Raff on Hyperion...

Gareth Vaughan

Alan Howe

A sensible coupling for the Raff PC would make all the difference. There is, of course, the Suite Op.200, as well as the Ode au Printemps, Op.76. Or would Hyperion prefer a PC by someone else as the coupling? Any thoughts, Gareth, Mark?

Gareth Vaughan