News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Wilhelm Hill (1838-1902)

Started by jerfilm, Tuesday 24 February 2015, 19:52

Previous topic - Next topic

jerfilm

While surfing around Spotify,  Here's what Wikipedia sez about Hill:

"Wilhelm Hill was born in Fulda. He began studying piano and violin with his father at 6 years old. He devoted himself tirelessly to composing at age 14.[1] From May 1854 Hill lived in Frankfurt am Main, where he was pupil of Heinrich Henkel and Johann Christian Hauff. He gave his first public piano performance in Fulda the following year, and performed in Frankfurt in January 1858.
In the 1880s, Hill taught at Lindner Institute and Julius Stockhausen's Vocal School. His opera Alona was awarded second prize in the competition for the opening of the new Frankfurt Opera House in 1882. He married Maria (Mary) Möhring in 1887 and soon after contracted an eye disease which effected his ability to teach and compose.[1]
He composed two operas, a piano concerto, chamber music, piano compositions, choral and vocal works including numerous songs. Hill gained popularity through the song "Das Herz am Rhein" (The Heart of the Rhine; published in 1866), which was sung frequently by his friend, baritone Karl Hill. The song soon appeared in various vocal and instrumental arrangements and became standard repertoire for vocalists and musicians of the time.[1]
Hill died in Homburg, Saarland. He and his wife are buried in Frankfurt Hauptfriedhof."

His Violin Sonata in e, opus 20 and the Piano Quartet in Eb are on Spotify.  There are also recordings of his Piano Trios in G and D but not there. 

I love both the Sonata and the Quartet - both of them chock full of lovely tunes and toe tapping rhythms.  Makes me wish Hyperion would take up his Piano Concerto in c#.

Those who love good melodies should look into these recordings.

Jerry

Alan Howe

Hill's music is very attractive. Not great, I think, but thoroughly worth pursuing. Jpc lists one CD including the Violin Sonata in E minor (tracks 6-9) and Piano Quartet in E flat (tracks 10-13):
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Wilhelm-Hill-1836-1902-Sonate-f%FCr-Violine-Klavier-op-20/hnum
/1306521

Unfortunately the CD containing two piano trios on the Melisma label is now unavailable.

Gareth Vaughan

Do we know whether his PC is extant or not?

eschiss1

I'm mostly aware of his posthumously-published string quartet, put together by his biographer from manuscripts in his collection (and going to show that this doesn't only happen to well-known composers like Mahler and Bruckner - but then one knows that already, I suppose - and that posthumous editing/reconstruction isn't just a modern craze.)

mikehopf

Many thanks for the recommendation!

I love a good melody and this was right up my street.

The Hills are alive ( Alfred, E.B. and now Wilhelm ) as are the Bergs....

jerfilm

Also available online at ClassicsOnline here:  http://www.classicsonline.com/catalogue/product.aspx?pid=892982

The Piano Trios were offered by Records International in 2010 - lucky me, I got one.   Have not been able to find another source.  One good reason to support retailers who offer downloads - for example, Amazon has MP3s on download that are now out of print.  .....

J