CD of works by Adolf Jensen

Started by eschiss1, Thursday 05 March 2015, 04:00

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Even the first paragraph I probably agree with, but o for the best of the exceptions...

Mark Thomas

Nick Barnard's review is spot on. I'm afraid that this disc was a disappointment for me. The music is more than competently put together, but it's all so tasteful and safe. The result is rather bloodless, but that's clearly not the fault of conductor and orchestra, who seem to play each piece for all it's worth. It's just that they don't seem to be worth much.

Alan Howe

I was mildly entertained, but the music's ultimately third-rate. Sometimes it's obvious why particular music has been forgotten. I'm glad to have heard the CD, but when will I listen to it again?

terry martyn

The CD is still available from Presto and jpc.
As a child, I remember being expected to learn how to play some of Jensen's piano music, and I warmed to them. And, since Becker is currently being discussed under the "Composers and Music" section, I bought a cutprice secondhand CD on amazon.es, which swiftly arrived yesterday, to see to what his orchestration of Jensen's Wedding Music amounts - quite endearing,as it happens.
I have just spent a pleasant breakfast hour,chewing bran and munching carrots to this perfectly acceptable,life-affirming ,music,and expect to do so on other occasions. There is a lightness of touch, which redeems the music from being merely mundane,at least to my ears. 

semloh

These orchestral works sound to me like precursors of Coates and Ketèlbey. Very enjoyable, and just right for having with a meal, though not so sure about the bran and carrots, Terry!

Martin Eastick

Whilst i have this CD, I have to admit that it does not represent Jensen at his best unfortunately. Although I have scores of nearly all his published lieder - and there certainly some gems to be found here, his piano music is surely where he shines brightest! Also, it may be worthwhile for any interested parties to look at his unpublished piano trio (although marked as Op6, this number was later allocated to a set of published songs). This dates from 1856 and was dedicated to Liszt. See IMSLP:https://imslp.org/wiki/Piano_Trio%2C_Op.6_(Jensen%2C_Adolf)