News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

SIEGFRIED Wagner

Started by Steve B, Tuesday 29 June 2010, 13:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve B

Sorry, been a bit absent; been listening to some FAMOUS composers-JS someone or other :)Well,thats me lynched(only joking!).

I did a search on Siegfried Wagner on this site, with only one mention-by myself!There WAS a thread but it must have been on the erstwhile Raff Forum Unsung section.

I think "Sehnsucht" is almost unflawed- a series of memorable tunes, full of surging Romantic/romantic period yearning (the title, roughly translated, means "longing"- think the Welsh "hiraeth"). SW had an intense afair with Clement Harris, another interesting composer(2 works available on a Marco polo download-only-c/w "Sehnsucht"), with whom he went on at least one walking trip. Sadly Clement died fighting for Greek independence. Siegfried kept a picture of his lover and friend on his desk for the rest of his life. Evidence(which is scanty because of the Wagner family's secrecy, especially re SW, who was homosexual or bisexual, and, in this respect seen as a shame to the family)suggests Siegfried was liberal in his views on many issues. I say all this because, although biography is often NOT relevant in musical appreciation(being, of all the arts, prpbably the most SUPRA non-musical referrents), his music, at its best, is suffused with this melancholy longing.

But you also get passages of sheer exulatation too: eg. the almost Mahlerian ending of the Symphony; and he writes wonderfully for (?large) groups of horns.

I recommend then, particuarly to new(ish) members who havent heard my previous proselytizing for this composer, (overshadowed by his father):
1. sehnsucht
2. THE (only) Symphony.
3. Overture to "Die Heilige Linde"

Ok there are echoes of Wagner pere, a bit of Marschner perhaps... but, amongst and between all this there is this SW style of yearning and exaltation, which is unique.

Any other aficianadoes?

take care

Steve Benson

Alan Howe

Too many looooooong periods of little musical interest for me, I'm afraid. A bit like Humperdinck and water. But each to his own...

Kriton

I LOVE Siegfried Wagner's music. For me, the operas by him (unfortunately I still only have the 3 recorded by CPO) are on the same level as Humperdinck. Above all, though, I love his violin concerto! His symphony never really grabbed me... But since you seem to be a Siegfried enthusiast, I will give it another chance!

John H White

I get the impression that Siegfried wasn't as avant garde as his father. However its interesting to compare his late romantic symphony written towards the end of his life with the basically classical one by the teenage Richard.
    I can never understand why Wagner senior farmed his son out to Humperdinck when he wanted composition lessons.

Steve B

Quote from: Kriton on Tuesday 29 June 2010, 17:20
I LOVE Siegfried Wagner's music. For me, the operas by him (unfortunately I still only have the 3 recorded by CPO) are on the same level as Humperdinck. Above all, though, I love his violin concerto! His symphony never really grabbed me... But since you seem to be a Siegfried enthusiast, I will give it another chance!
thanks Kriton. let me know how u get on with the symphony this time. I shall re-try the Violin Concerto, which, strangely, didnt initially appeal to me!:)but will give it a go, cos enthusiasm can be infectious and it it good to engage with another SW lover!
Steve

eschiss1

It probably doesn't matter much, but which version of the symphony do you have (Koch-Schwann) or cpo (they're different revisions, I am given to understand, or something?)
Eric

Amphissa

I do enjoy "Sehnsucht" a lot. And I've heard a few other symphonic poems. But that expensive box set from cpo has not yet risen to the top of my purchase list. Since I've not heard the symphony or the violin concerto, I'm reluctant to spring for 7 CDs of uncertain quality.

What are your thoughts on the Holreiser performance of the symphony? Is that the same performance as the box set?

Amphissa

Simultaneous postings.  8)

Kriton

Quote from: Steve B on Tuesday 29 June 2010, 23:35
thanks Kriton. let me know how u get on with the symphony this time.
I will, hope you don't mind it'll be in a month, or so...? I'm leaving on holiday tomorrow, and will be separated from my library for a month... :( But; Therefore I will be on vacation! :D

Quote from: Steve B on Tuesday 29 June 2010, 23:35
I shall re-try the Violin Concerto, which, strangely, didnt initially appeal to me!:)but will give it a go, cos enthusiasm can be infectious and it it good to engage with another SW lover!
Steve
I was baffled the first time I heard it - starts out like a Tristan, becomes some sort of Mendelssohn and then the last bars seemed to be saying to me that it shouldn't be taken all too seriously... But I'm afraid, I got addicted!

Steve B

echiss; i have CPO(Rhein-platz), but the rare Delyse LP (Aarhaus SO) is more exciting. Not aware of Hollreiser. Sounds quite old(??Vox). But CPO is certainly adequate(a bit slow in the scherzo)and may be available seperately. the CPO includes BOTH slow movements, but(not heard them very closely yet) they seem to have same principal melody, even though first version is meant to be identical to an earlier opera overture.

Amphissa, the works ARE uneven. Sehnsucht is his masterpiece; but they do usually have lovely orchestration, disappearing-into-the-sunset type themes; and he can do a jolly dance melody. :)There are quite a few really memorable melodies, with that yearning melancholy-cum-ecstasy feel though; and, interestingly, they recur from work to work. However, there ARE, I reluctantly admit, some longueurs(:

An interesting composer.

Kriton; no hurry!enjoy your holiday; and I shall listen to the VC again soon and report back.

Steve

Alan Howe

As there appears to be some interest in pursuing Siegfried's music further on its own terms, please post it in this thread.
Thanks
Alan Howe

kolaboy

Not saying that I won't, but I've yet to come across a work of his that stayed with me in any significant way... ???

Alan Howe

Just about my opinion too.

Sydney Grew

It should perhaps not be forgotten that Siegfried was not only Wagner's son, but Liszt's grandson. (Some pedigree!) And it is often observed that talent skips a generation. So I wonder whether there are any Lisztian characteristics in his music?

In regard to the Harris thing and matters related, there was quite a hoo-hah in Germany in the early thirties about Siegfried and the tenor Max Lorenz. I remember seeing a good German television programme about the life of Lorenz, and how he got his start.

Alan Howe

Actually, I've read commentators who do compare Siegfried's music with Liszt. Try this insightful excerpt:

<< Musically Siegfried seems to have been more strongly influenced by his grandfather, Franz Liszt, than by his father. Indeed, if you didn`t know the identity of the composer, you might have decided it is a minor, albeit attractive, symphonic poem by Liszt. All the stylistic fingerprints are there, with a hint of the final "Ring" pages at the end.>>

Full article here:
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1985-11-08/news/8503170346_1_siegfried-idyll-siegfried-wagner-daniel-barenboim