Miaskovsky Silentium, Op.9

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 20 March 2015, 19:19

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Can't seem to find my copy offhand, but Worldcat claims Keith Anderson wrote the notes to Stankovsky's recording for Marco Polo (recorded 1990 (Silence/Silentium), 1989 (12th symphony), released 1991), which fits with my memory. Now that the score is available, I'll have to give Silentium another try- I've never been impressed by the work (much or maybe at all), as I remember (unlike so much else by the composer, including especially the near-contemporary 2nd symphony, which seemed- and I expect will probably still seem, even in a better performance and recording of "Silence"- far more "sincere and passionate" a work.)

sdtom

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Wednesday 25 March 2015, 10:19
Some of the Marco Polo liner notes were very sloppy and full of errors. I'm not surprised they misled you. Who wrote them? I am familiar with Poe's tales and Silence is one of his most powerful vignettes. It is really a prose poem.

I admit to feeling quite foolish about this now :-[ and will rewrite parts of it. The music notes came from Martin Anderson.
Tom :)

adriano

Yes, Ken.
It is also included in the 16-CD Warner Box of Miaskovsky's complete Symphonies conducted by Svetlanov

Alan Howe

QuoteMartin Anderson

or Keith Anderson?

Gareth Vaughan

Keith Anderson, I feel sure. I doubt Martin would have made such a mistake.

Alan Howe

sdtom

sdtom

I wondered where I got the name Martin and when I returned to look at the liner notes I discovered the producer was Martin Sauer the line directly above Keith Anderson.  I've sure made a mess of this one. Back to my Graener Symphony in D minor which by the way has an error also in the liner notes.

Alan Howe

adriano

Poe wrote not only a short story (he calls it "A Fable") entitled "Silentium", but also a Sonnet of the same title. It's about "a two-fold Silence - sea and shore - Body and soul".

Alan Howe

I nearly linked to the sonnet before realising it was the tale that Miaskovsky used.

sdtom

Quote from: Alan Howe on Wednesday 25 March 2015, 20:25
Thanks, Tom. Not to worry.

I appreciate that. I want all of the forum members to know how much I appreciate this site. I've been interested in classical music for nearly sixty years but lately because of this site an entire new world of composers is open to me I never realized existed. Just this year it's been Rudorff, Hoffmann, Witt, and Graener which would have never happened had it not been for this site.

Alan Howe

And we appreciate your presence here, Tom.