Women Composers of the Romantic Period

Started by giles.enders, Monday 23 March 2015, 12:20

Previous topic - Next topic

adriano

OK, sorry again Alan; I forgot the exact title of this thread - but suppose for the rest of the subjects, more modern or modern composers are still allowed to be discussed in this website?

Alan Howe

Sorry, Adriano, they're not. Our remit applies to all threads at UC.

adriano

OK, but in this case the website should be called "Unsung Composers of the Romantic and Post-Romantic Period"  ;)

Alan Howe

That's too long a name. In any case the definition of our remit makes this perfectly clear...
http://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php/topic,3681.0.html
...and we've been over this ground time and again. So, back to the thread topic, please...

giles.enders

I started this thread in the hope that browsers would be able to add further information about the women listed.  I make a plea to keep to this.  If there are other women considered to be suitable topics, then please start a new thread.

eschiss1

While I find the restriction of period imposed by this forum regrettable, there are some reasonably content-filled places to discuss unsung music of other eras, especially if a person has e.g. a Facebook account or somesuch...

eschiss1

Also Hélène Liebmann (née Riese).
About her piano trio uploaded (as mentioned, one of three) awhile back did anyone catch the movement headings? I'm thinking of trying to interloan a modern edition thereof, that I noticed was available, the better to do something about the under-informative "I" "II" "III" "IV" stuffs... :D
Eric

eschiss1

I've put in an interloan request for a (modern) published edition of the Liebmann trio; don't know if anyone else is interested but may have more information about it (such as can't be determined exactly by just listening to it) soon.

eschiss1

Ok, as earlier threatened, I mean, promised, here are the movement headers from Ambache's edition (for the Hildegard Publishing Company) of Liebmann's Op.11 piano trio (published by CF Peters ca.1816). (Middlebury College library copy; ©2003 edition.) Ambache's notes only mention two piano trios, not the three we believe exist- she claims Opp.11 and 13 may be the same work published under different opus numbers (at least that some confusion may exist as Op.11 was also used for a cello sonata, published by Breitkopf around 1815). (The other trio besides Op.11, mentioned in a Heidelbergische Jahrbücher der Literatur. -Heidelberg, Mohr & Zimmer issue in 1816, would be Op.12. A violin sonata and piano quartet are also mentioned, and a sonata op.15.)

(Also, too few people still understand, I think, that publishers had more to do with opus numbers, speaking very generally, than did composers, at that (ca.1816) time and for a good while after; not unusual e.g. for the same opus number to be assigned by different publishers to different works by the same composer depending on what they themselves brought out...)

I. Allegro (A major, 222 bars)
II. Andante (D major, 68 bars + pickup)
III. Polonoise (A major, 201 bars) (with D major middle section) (base tempo probably set at the discretion of the pianist?? - I may be mistaken - but in other case only "Polonoise" is given here.)