Bargiel Symphony & Overtures from Toccata

Started by Alan Howe, Tuesday 12 August 2014, 18:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

QuoteThe orchestra plays adequately

Oh, they're much better than adequate. Otherwise, I agree with everything you say.

khorovod

Well I finally managed to get this cd and for me it's a case of don't believe the hype or perhaps take heed of the warning signs! I liked the music, this sort of mid-romantic stuff is right up my street but it's so derivative with a few almost as bold plagiarisms of Beethoven as poor old Ries was guilty of... plus several other predecessors or contemporaries! Even the liner notes finally admit this after stating in one breath that Bargiel is by no means an epigone, then more honestly listing a bunch of (more talented!) composers whose fingerprints he adopted and less successfully (my addition in emphasis). I just can't understand  how just by virtue of the work(s) being well put together (he did teach at a music conservatory after all so hardly surprising!) this derivative music amounts to  "one of the most important products of the so-called Dalhaus Gap". In fact citing this symphony to my mind just provides evidence for Dalhaus's claim. Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with Dalhaus any more than you do but maybe we should be careful about what claims and what works we use to argue against him because in this case I sincerely think it undermines our position as opponents of his hypothesis.   :-\

As for the performance I think it is more than adequate but only that, not what I would call good let alone inspired, probably more rehearsals would have helped. And what about the recording? Thin sounding strings and that boomy bass that totally messes with the overall sound "stage". Not good, not good at all and a surprise to me coming from Toccata. I don't know whether the sound problems is the orchestra itself lacking enough players in the strings   or the venue or the engineers but its a shame it wasn't picked up and rectified somehow.

edurban

khorovod

:D

Perhaps I came across as less happy with the music than I am! I do like the music, a lot. It's from my favourite period of music and it does, very neatly, everything I would want it to do. I just don't think it's very individual nor do I think the symphony (or the overtures) is of any historical-musical significance in terms of the development of the genre in the C19th. It's a nicely written, mid-century symphony, that makes no challenges on the listener or to the genre and displays the magpie tendency of its composer all too readily,  like many such "second tier" works from that time. Which is fine by me.  :)

The playing and sound are disappointing though, I think.

Alan Howe

Well, I disagree with almost everything that khovorod says - especially about the playing, which is incandescent. But it's good to hear an opposing view.

eschiss1

Is there any news what might be on vol.2? I've been asked over on IMSLP whether there are any recordings of his Psalm 61, and it occurs to me I'm not sure if any of his choral/orchestral music has appeared commercially (... or broadcast?? ... has it?...) at all, yet- that could be an interesting coupling?..., if a (not un-precedented) stretch on the title of the series.