Henning Mankell (1868-1930) PC

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 05 June 2015, 09:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Gareth Vaughan

The Henning Mankell PC will be thoroughly enjoyable, but I don't know what Nystroem's music is like.

eschiss1

some of it's been available in the downloads section here... though the link we had to the 1960 premiere of the Concerto ricercante is now invalid. (It's not on YouTube, but his about contemporary Sinfonia seria is.)

(EDIT. Since it was unclear: I was referring to the Nystroem works. The Concerto ricercante, 1959, premiered 1960; his "about contemporary" (i.e.: with the concerto) Sinfonia "no.5" seria.)

Alan Howe

Gareth Vaughan

I know the Mankell is on Youtube, thanks - and have enjoyed listening to it. It's the Nystroem I'm worried about.

Alan Howe

I'll be buying the CD anyway. If the Nystroem's any good, it'll be a bonus.

Gareth Vaughan

britishcomposer

If anyone is interested in the historic Swedish radio broadcast of the Nystroem please send me a PM. Though I like most of Nystroem's work I found this rather dry. He is perhaps comparable to Arthur Honegger. So he doesn't fit here.

eschiss1

It is among Nystroem's later works (1959) as already noted above!! (And while the concerto ricercante isn't on YouTube, several works he composed around the same time are- presumably in around the same style and hence indicative of whether the potential buyer might enjoy the piece... which was my point in mentioning the Sinfonia seria...)

Gareth Vaughan

Thanks, Eric. Have listened to the Sinfonia serial. It is, to my ear, a bit on the dull side. Not really my cup of tea.