d'Indy vol.6 from Chandos

Started by ken, Thursday 26 March 2015, 11:17

Previous topic - Next topic

sdtom

I think having the six volumes from Chandos will be sufficient for my collection.
Tom :)

adriano

Don't forget d'Indy's magnificent "sea" opera "L' Etranger" (The Stranger) - available on the Accord label (a 2010 concert performance of the Montpellier Festival). All over a dozen unsung operas available on this label are very important and excellently performed. Among them there are Respighi's "Sunken Bell", Alfano's "Resurezione", Mariotte's "Salomé", Humperdinck's "Königskinder" and Herrmann's "Wuthering Heights"...

Alan Howe

Unfortunately the tenor in the Respighi is a bit of a wobbler, especially when he puts pressure on his voice. Caveat emptor! Thanks for the tip about Alfano's Risurrezione, which had passed me by...

adriano

Oh well, on that label too there are some other wobblers :-) Still, the performances are quite good and fruits of serious rehearsals.

Alan Howe

It's a personal issue for me. I was brought up on the late, great John Steane's seminal book on singers and singing, The Grand Tradition. Steane was a purist in terms of what was required of a great singer, i.e. the even production of beautiful tone. That's why I have always had problems listening to  many singers labelled as 'great', e.g. Hans Hotter, Maria Callas, etc. And it's ten times worse when it comes to the casting of suitable voices in unsung operas: very rarely are recordings blessed with suitable voices - and all-too often one has to listen through some pretty dreadful singing in order to imagine what the opera in question might sound like if properly cast. So I end buying a forgotten opera on CD, listen to it once to find out what it's like and then file it away because I know I can't tolerate the poor singing. It's like listening to a sub-standard orchestra playing an unsung symphony - a good example is the absolutely dreadful recording of Ludvig Norman's 1st and 3rd symphonies on Sterling, or the Bendix symphonies on Danacord. I just can't bear to listen to them.

Anyway, enough of my problems with recordings of unsung operas. Back to d'Indy...

kootenay

Two more d'Indy works are/were on Valois V4686, Souvenirs op. 62 (another  recording on Marco Polo 223 654) and the Symphony no. 3 «De bello gallico» op. 70.

eschiss1

There is also a newer recording of the 3rd symphony on Chandos (a 2009-recorded/2010-released CD, vol.3 of their series) though I'm not offhand aware of any other commercial recordings of that work...

alberto

The Valois cd quoted above contained also "Saugefleurie".
Another valuable d'Indy fairly recent disc is the (obviously deleted) Koch containing the Sympnohy n.2 and "Souvenirs" (J.De Preist, Monte Carlo Orch.).And  a Warner Cd coupling Jour d'etè a la montagne and the Symphonie Cevenole (M.Janowsky cond., C.Colard pianist).

eschiss1

fairly sure that should be
Jour d'été à la montagne
but I may be mistaken in part or in whole; it's been a long while...

ken

Wonderful sound and playing from the Iceland Symphony Orchestra.  Very easy on the ear and very romantic music.  A great disc to end the D'Indy Chandos series.  Don't miss this one!

Alan Howe

Agreed. A very fine CD indeed.

eschiss1

surprised there's "only" 6 volumes of orchestral music by d'Indy to release (and I don't mean they should make extra suites from the operas to fill extra volumes or something, though I sort of wonder if there's some manuscripts lying about in the BNF archives, or something.

(E.g. "Clair de Lune. Etude dramatique pour soprano et orchestre" Op.13 on a poem by Hugo, manuscript parts @ BNF (version with piano published by Hamelle. Not recorded, I think.
Hrm. Well, not "orchestral" specifically, I agree.)
(The BNF catalog does (catalogue.bnf.fr) list a lot of assorted not-orchestral things that I hope some label will look into, though :) - plus there's a string quartet by Wilfred d'Indy- yes, that relative whose trio was recorded mistakenly as by Vincent - ... hrm...)

FBerwald

I agree! I had expected that there would have been more than 6 cd's of orchestral music... my be I am wrong .

Gareth Vaughan

You guys are never satisfied!  :) But with the quality of the music on Vols. 1-6 I can hardly blame you.

sdtom

I just received my Volume six (what can I say the USA is behind on this one) and I'm listening to "Wallenstein" right now. I can easily hear the Wagner influence.
Tom